What's new

HDMI receiver / Blu-ray Player / HD DVD Player / HD TV with component only inputs ??? (1 Viewer)

Here's my situation. My brother has a older 50" Toshiba TV with only component inputs, no HDMI.

I got him a Panny BD 60 player for Christmas. I also got him a Toshiba HD-A2 for Christmas a couple of years ago.

He currently has a nice but older Denon receiver with no HDMI inputs. He is getting a new HD TV later this year but I wanted him to be able to hear the lossless audio from the two HD disc players.

I picked him up a Yamaha RX-V465 since it was cheap and decodes the lossless formats.

I was thinking I could hook the HD players up to the receiver via HDMI thus being able to get the lossless sound. I was thinking I could just use component video outs to the TV. Reading the receiver manual it appears that it will not output any video via component that originated from the HDMI receiver.

I could use the component video outs from the HD machines directly to the TV but I am guessing that with the HD Players I have to select either component video or HDMI out and not be able to use both. He lives out of town from me so I have not comfirmed this.

Are there any other receivers that would provide a component video signal out from a HDMI source?

Just trying to decide if I can get better receiver and fix this now or if I should just hold off on worrying with the lossless sound until he gets a new display with HDMI inputs.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
My understanding is that receivers are not allowed to downconvert HDMI to component video. Supposedly the studios have gotten that provision written into the HDMI licenses. In other words, your brother needs to use the component video outputs. Most BD players produce very high quality Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio over their optical and RCA digital outputs. It's good enough that most people cannot tell the difference between that and the lossless HD audio formats. BD players generate significantly higher bitrates over their digital outputs than DVDs do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks