What's new

HDMI Question (1 Viewer)

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
In the near future, I will be buying my first HDTV and probably an upconverting DVD player (I'll wait unitl they build a HD DVD player that combines the two standards before I go in that direction), and I have a question about HDMI.

Since HDMI combines audio and video in one cable, and my Sony 5.1 receiver does not have an HDMI input, can I use HDMI for video only and run sound through toslink/coaxil digital cable? Or does it make more sense to just use component/digital cable like I do now?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
HDMI and optical will work perfectly

Thats actually how i do everything now...

Enjoy the new HDTV!!!

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty good with most of this stuff, but as I get new technology, I need to understand it so I don't get things I don't need. Since it looks like the upconverting DVD players use HDMI, that will be a requirement when I buy my HDTV. I'm using a non-progressive scan Sony that I love, but it's time to go ahead and upgrade that with the new TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks