What's new

HDMI Question (1 Viewer)

ted*

Agent
I am purchasing a Plasam with a HDMI connection.
I have hit up many FAQs and have decided to go with the HDMI over the DVI. My question is how many devices can I connect to the HDMI?

For example I would like to connect my HD Receiver and my DVD player to the HDMI. Does a "switch" exist for this and if it does will I lose any quality? Finally, is there a noticable difference of good component cables V HDMI on a progrssive scan DVD Player?

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for answering many of my questions and making me feel confident in purchasing my first HT system. You all have been great!

Thank you once again
Ted

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Generally, we don't use HDMI on a DVD player to run 480i or p ... it's for running at 720p or 1080i.

Since most DVD players don't upscale via component, then it doesn't matter. YOu'd be comparing a 480p component image to a scaled 720/1080 image via hdmi.

Strictly speaking ... on a few select units that upscale via both outputs ... the differences have been negligible to significant. YMMV.

There are HDMI switch boxes, but they are usually rather pricy. ($200 or more)

REgards

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
This largely depends on your display device. Since you're using a plasma TV, there should be a noticeable difference. The reason being is that DVDs are a digital medium, and plasma screens are fixed pixel displays (which in turn means they require a digital signal to drive them), but component cables are an analog connection. So the DVD player would need to convert the digital information to analog, and then the TV would need to convert that signal back to digital form so it can be displayed. This D/A/D conversion is inherently lossy and will degrade the image somewhat. Whether it's enough difference to be noticeable is debatable based on other factors.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Curious about this michael, is there a particular reason?

To my, HDMI has the added benefit of being able to transmit native YCbCr which DVI does not. Further, with upscaling via HDMI if you are using YCbCr, there may be colorspace problems between 601/709 that might arise.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It's more because the hdmi outputs come on scaling DVD players and what's the point of getting it if not for scaling to 1080 or 720.

Sort of like why we don't find S-video outputs on plain VHS machines. And people don't buy S-VHS to just record in VHS all the time ... (although there are plenty of people that do because they just don't know any better or care.)

The people buying the hdmi units I give a wee bit more credit to. If they didn't care, then they'd be buying $60 machines. If they did buy it for HDMI and are running it at 480 ... it's because they don't know what they bought. I've seen people with these units running S-video ...

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
I was over at somebodies house last night, not happy with their new upconverting player only to find out, they had hooked it up via Composite, yep single RCA Composite. Also interesting, their TV only has Component inputs for 480p and HD. The player was not one that is known to be able to upconvert via component video cables.

I had a lot of splain'n to do...... :)

ted*

Agent
Do these switches cause any loss of quality?
For example will it be a less quality connecting switch to tv rather than directly to the tv?

Also, is there any type of quality (video or audio) lost from using a DVI dvd player into a HDMI Plasma (using the DVI-HDMI cable)

I am gettin a high end model plasms and would like to take full advantage of it. The annoying part will be getting up and hiting the switch when i wanna go to dvd or back to tv (yes lazy).

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Am I getting this right, So it would be better to buy a TV with two HDMI connections one for the HD Direct TV box & the other for the future HD-DVD/Bluray players. If thats the case shame on the TV manufactures for not including more HDMI inputs on the TVs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks