What's new

HDMI picture issues (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
so i had my local cable company come out and install the new HD-DVR because it had HDMI out. But once it was hooked up I couldn't get a picture with the HDMI cable connected, but when I switched to component video out I immediately got a picture. I've gone through the menus on both TV and DVR box, and there is no way to chose the output source (which I didn't think there would be, it's an output, shouldn't have to choose). So I left it alone for a while and came back a little later. Now I'm getting a flashing picture, it would go from snow to picture(with a green hue or tint)

So, either my HDMI input on my TV is screwed up, or the DVR output is not working properly, or the 85 dollar HDMI cable i bought the other night is bad.

Any ideas? Something else I could try. I get me new DVD player tomorrow, so I can re-test my HDMI input on my TV. But it's DVI to HDMI, so there is no way to test the cable. Maybe I'll just take it back to BB and buy one from Blue Jeans cable. There about half the damn price i paid.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

LOL, yeah I was thinking about that. I just hope BB will take it back because it has been opened and used. Although I don't know if it works.

RalphBway

Auditioning
My friends got a new 1088 Mitsubishi. Output on the HD cable box is DVI and input on the Mitsubishi is HDMI. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable for them from Parts Express.

They had the same problems you described. Cable service guy came over and said the problem was the box & TV weren't communicating properly.

It seems a DVI to HDMI connect can be dicey. Best source for a solution is tech support at your cable company.

I don't know what the cable company did, but their set is working fine now with the DVI to HDMI cable I'd gotten for them.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Mike are you running directly to the TV from your STB or re you running thru an a/v receiver using it as a a/v switcher? If doing the latter some STB don't past the HDCP thru a switcher some have called this a "handshake" issue. It has been discussed in many threads here. If you are running directly to the TV sometimes there are the same HDCP issues between DVI and HDMI. If you get a DVD player that is DVI and buy a DVI/HDMI cable that supports the HDCP issue you "should" be fine.

Im not an expert in this area but I'm an insomniac who reads about this stuff in the wee hours of the morning just my .02 hope it helps.

BTW what type of STB box are you using? If Moto they (according to the other forums) don't play nice with several types of displays. FWIW

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
I aggree with RickRO, Motorolla gave me problems when connecting directly to my HDTV with a DVI to HDMI connection. Why, Motorolla? Why?

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
I have exact same issues. When I connect HD cable directly to TV set through DVI-HDMI, picture keeps fslahing on and off. Component connection, though, is just fine. Any easy solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks