What's new

HDMI Passhthrough (handshake?) issue with AVR (1 Viewer)

Mordkanin

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Hello.

I'm having a 'no signal' issue with my receiver and TV. I have a Yamaha RX-V377, an Insignia TV from a couple years ago. I have an HTPC, an Xbox 360 and a FIOS receiver.

All three devices work just fine when plugged directly into the TV.

However, when the AVR is between the TV and any of the devices, things get a bit hairy. The TV never has a problem displaying the AVR’s 480p output when nothing is plugged in to whatever input the AVR is on. But it always has various issues passing through HDMI.

Audio *always* works fine. The AVR never has an issue playing audio from whatever is plugged into it. And it says it’s outputting HDMI, but the TV usually just says ‘no signal’.

Unplugging the device from the AVR, and plugging it back in usually works after several tries.

The FIOS receiver usually ‘just works’. The xbox 360 tends to take a couple unplugs/plugs. The HTPC can take several dozen tries before it finally displays a picture.

I’ve tried all of them in different modes (1080p, 720p, 480p) and nothing seemed to make any difference.

Sometimes it works just fine the first time, sometimes it takes 25 tries (unplug, tv flickers, shows a blank 480p screen from the receiver for the receiver’s OSD, plug back in, tv goes through its thing and ends up showing ‘no signal’, rinse, repeat)

On occasion, the TV will think the HTPC is sending out a different signal. For instance, it’s outputting 1080p, 60Hz, but the TV goes into ‘1080p 30Hz’ mode, and just displays a pink screen.

Playing DVDs through the xbox 360 never works. The TV just starts spazzing out and switching modes. It doesn’t say no signal. It just constantly flips back and forth between two different signals over and over again. (There are no issues with DVDs if the 360 is just plugged directly into the TV)

I tried my monitor, which has an HDMI-in, and it has none of these problems. It’s just this one TV that’s being a royal PITA.

I’ve tried all combinations of ARC/CEC on/off on each device. Tried new cables.

Any ideas on what I can do to try and fix this? I was thinking that I might try something like an HDMI Detective Plus between the receiver and the TV, but that doesn't seem to be a usual way people use that thing. Usually, they put it between the receiver and the output device like an HTPC that's having issues. But in my case, it's having issues with all devices.

Mordkanin

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
schan1269 said:
Sounds like, to me, you didn't unplug everything from the wall when you added in the AVR.

Why would that make a difference?

Everyhing probably was, though. I had to switch everything to a new power strip when I installed it.

Mordkanin

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Just an FYI for anyone who finds this post in the future.

I put a $20 1:2 HDMI splitter between the TV and the Receiver.

Everything works *perfectly* now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks