What's new

HDMI output Switching Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It has been 10 years since I upgraded my home theater. I am going to completely disassemble my front cabinet and mount everything flush to the wall. I am going to lose the rear projector and get an ultra-short throw projector in a slide out drawer in the front. I also have a 60" wall mount TV for every day use.
What I would like to do is to find a receiver that can handle an A and a B video out.
I have seen a few with zone 2 - for another room apparently - which won't work for me. I want to use the same set of speakers just a different monitor.
I know I can buy a stand-alone HDMI switch, but I would prefer to have it contained in the receiver.
Does such a beast exist?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It seems that pretty much all receivers from mid line on up have dual hdmi outputs. Most actually don't have a Zone 2 until you go to higher ends ones. A Zone 2 out will actually say "Zone 2". Most say "Monitor 1" and "Monitor 2". I don't know what kind of handshake issues there are, since I don't run dual monitors, but in the Denon line, I see that the X2500 on up has what you want, and the entire full-size Marantz line does. I'm sure it's similar with other brands.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I use a Marantz SR7010 to play from HDMI 1 OUT to a TV and when I want a bigger picture, I switch to HDMI 2 OUT to feed a projector. I also set a 12v trigger output on the receiver to drop a power screen when I switch to HDMI 2 OUT. Before you buy a receiver, download the owner's manual and make sure it will do what you want.

Brian

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for the reply.

Something else I would like to know is about Bluetooth features; in my limited experience a receiver that says 'bluetooth' is either Bluetooth 'in' only or, if it has Bluetooth out - is unable to push audio to Bluetooth at the same time as the regular speakers.
I want both so my party guests can enjoy the same music on my patio as in my house. I bought a slew of Bluetooth devices to retrofit my existing receiver, but there is a 20ms lag and turning it on is a pita.
Is there a receiver that can do this native? Maybe this question is worth starting a new thread of its own.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What might be better is AirPlay, if you can use an iOS device as the source. Either that or another similar setup. Those are designed specifically for what you want to do. Bluetooth wasn't really designed for that kind of stuff. A lot of receivers have AirPlay built in.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Different receivers have different options for whole home audio. Yamaha has MusicCast, Denon/Marantz have Heos, etc. You would have to get a compatible speaker or a separate amp that links back to the original receiver.
An example would be to get a Yamaha RX-A1080 receiver for the main room and a WX-A50 to feed a pair of speakers on the patio. You could also add in MusicCast 20 speakers in different rooms to link back to the main receiver.

Brian

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
In my experiments airplay and other modes of transmission all required me to choose between my wired speakers or wireless - never both.
Also, Sonos, Musiccast 20, and most others do not offer battery powered speakers. I have four UE Megaboom speakers which I can place strategically outside without having to run wires of any kind. The only issues I have is the lag and the complexity of getting Bluetooth to work while my wired speakers are on. And frankly - when the party is rocking nobody can really notice the lag when they move from indoors to outdoors. So mostly it is the complexity I am trying to resolve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks