What's new

HDMI output from receiver to TV not working (1 Viewer)

shane7x38

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
Hi all,

I recently purchased a budget home theater system, consisting of the following components:

Syntax Olevia LT42HVi 42" LCD TV
Sony HT-DDW900 Home Theater system

The TV has 2 HDMI connections, along with the usual component/composite connections.

The receiver has some basic connections, including an HDMI "Monitor Out" connection.

I'm very new to this, and have been learning as I go...

I have my DVD player (and Playstation 2) connected to the receiver using component cables. The sound works fine when I select either device on the receiver. My problem is that no video is displayed on the TV. I have a Male-Male HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI out on the receiver, and plugged into one of the HDMI connections on the TV.

I choose "HDMI" as the Source on the TV, and verify that the receiver has the correct device selected, but alas, no video at all. The sound continues to work perfectly.

I have throughly scoured Sony's Support website, and both my TV and receiver manuals, but haven't been able to come up with any answers as to why no video is displayed.

What I'm looking for are any ideas about why it's not working. Possible theories I've come up with (forgive my ignorance) are as follows:

-Compatibility problems (different HDMI versions on the receiver and TV?)
-Maybe HDMI output only works for HDMI inputs? For example, if I connect the DVD player to the receiver via HDMI, then HDMI output to the TV will work. Because I am using component cables for the time being, maybe I would need to use component cables for the output from the receiver to the TV as well?

Sorry about the long first post...I figured too much is better than too little.

Thanks for your help in advance!

TV inputs/outputs:

Receiver inputs/outputs:

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
"Maybe HDMI output only works for HDMI inputs? For example, if I connect the DVD player to the receiver via HDMI, then HDMI output to the TV will work. Because I am using component cables for the time being, maybe I would need to use component cables for the output from the receiver to the TV as well?"

That's your answer - your receiver is not converting the component to hdmi

Run Component to the TV as well - you should be good then

Hope this helps

shane7x38

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
Thanks for your help, Paul. That seemed like the only likely solution to me, so I went ahead and purchased some more component cables. I'm going to try them out this afternoon, but I think that just may do the trick.

I've since read some things about 'upconversion'. It seems that I would need that in order for component in/HDMI out to work...

If it doesn't work with the new component cables, I'll be sure to come back and let everybody know. ;)

Thanks again!

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
The receiver included with that Sony package doesn't upscale analog video to HDMI (you can't really expect it to at that price).

Like stated before, you'll have to run analog video out from the receiver into the TV as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks