What's new

HDMI or Not (1 Viewer)

dago

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
I am thinking of buying the two speaker Bose home theather system. should i be concerned that it doesn't have HDMI? I will have to connect my Playstation 3 (to use as a BluRay DVD) with an optical cable to the Bose and HDMI to the TV.
it also means my Tivo will connect to the TV with HDMI but to the Bose with coaxial. Should i care that it is not all HDMI?

my other thought is to use the sony home theater receiver that is all HDMI and the Playstation 3 and Tivo will run audio and video through the sony home theater receiver. the downside is having to the back speakers which are not all that important to me if the front has the sound quality of the Bose.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You should be concerned that it's Bose! :D
Bose is not highly regarded in the home theater world. They charge 10 times more than it's worth. See this:
intellexual net · m k i v

But, if you're hooking up a ps3 to use as a Blu ray player, I would think you'd want to hear the HD audio that's on Blu ray movies? You'll need a receiver that can handle the HD audio formats over HDMI, for those. The new Onkyo and new Yamaha receivers are well liked, for this purpose. If the quality of the equipment and sound isn't that big of a deal to you, go with the Bose.

dago

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip
thank you for your help. i really appreciate it.
do you have model numbers of the recommended Onkyo and Yamaha receivers?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Plus, if you are looking for the "all up front" easy speaker system you might check out the various "sound bar" type systems. Not ideal, but still far better than Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks