HDMI or DVI?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by david*mt, May 25, 2004.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

What is the difference and which is better? I noticed that Toshiba is including HDMIs on their upcoming models. Will other manufacturers be doing the same? Which input will be compatible with future formats like Blu-ray and HD-DVD?

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I am not an expert on this but I believe that picture quality between the two is equal, the only difference with HDMI is that it carries audio as well as video, DVI is only video. Also I believe that DVI is backwards compatible with HDMI. DVI will be prevalent over DVI now however, and I doubt you will see any new sets offering DVI over HDMI.

3. M_a_r_k^NE

M_a_r_k^NE Agent

HDMI (High Definition Media Interface) will take over.
    HDMI is the future.

Its o.k. to use DVI. I have a DVI input on my 52" Widescreen CRT PRTV. HDMI and DVI both will give much better picture quality than traditional composite, S-video and component connections. The display device is gotta be high definition of course.

DVI (Digital Video Interface) will stay awhile until they make A/V receivers that take HDMI inputs. The other poster is right that the cable is backward compatible. Meaning a DVI end to a HDMI end and vice versa can be used, but most use the HDMI source to DVI display route. If you're running this HDMI to DVI cable, you will only get the picture. No sound. Who cares about the sound of your puny tv speakers anyway. Hook your DVD player or HD converter box to your AV reciever with you digital cable for the 5.1 HT Sound. HDMI output carries both audio and video to another HDMI input only.