What's new

HDMI Nightmare....... (1 Viewer)

Elliot.Lazarus

Auditioning
Real Name
Elliot Lazarus
I was using my Pioneer Plasma 50" and the media center that comes with it plus Direct TV HD when I first moved into my house.

I went out and bought a Denon 3806, Denon DVD, new speakers...the works....Had the gentleman who pre-wired my house do the install...he does it everyday......and the HDMI would not work at all.

Progressive works, S-video works but HDMI...and I bought a few cables from a trusted source here on the forum.....and nothing.

I brought in the Denon/Pioneer warranty guy to fix things and he determined that the software matching up each component would not work with HDMI...

Now I need to go out and get a pregressive and 2 fiber optic cables to make it work through the receiver.....

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you

Elliot

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I ran into this recent product announcemnt. I'd contact the manuf. of each and see if there is a firmware update or something.

"Aug 08, 2006 14:00

Key Digital(R) Introduces HD Xplorer(TM), a Digital Video Plug-in Card and Processor for Pioneer(TM) Plasma Displays, Models PDP-504CMX and PDP-434CMX

MOUNT VERNON, N.Y. --(Business Wire)-- Aug. 8, 2006 Key Digital Systems (Key Digital(R)), a leading total systems solution provider of custom installation and home theater digital video products, is proud to continue its HDMI digital interface product expansion with the introduction of its state-of-the-art digital HD Xplorer(TM) digital video plug-in card for select Pioneer(TM) Plasma displays. HD Xplorer(TM) by Key Digital(R) is the most advanced digital video processor and video switcher plug-in card available today for Pioneer Plasma Displays, models PDP-504CMX and PDP-434CMX.
The all-digital link provided by HD Xplorer(TM) enables your home theater video components to be connected directly to select Pioneer CMX Plasma displays. With HDMI (HDCP) digital inputs, HD Xplorer(TM) is a full-function digital video processor that pristinely converts 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, and 1080i video inputs to the display's native resolution.

-- Four HDMI with HDCP inputs for pristine, all-digital plug-and-play interface to select Pioneer Plasma Displays

-- Separate analog video inputs: RGB(HV), Component Video, S-Video, Composite Video

-- All-internal connections from HD Xplorer(TM) to the Pioneer Plasma Display ensure crystal-clear HDTV images

-- Key Digital's renowned picture quality, with Clear Matrix Pro(R) and Super Digital Scaling technology

-- Supports HD and SD sources (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i), 60 & 50 Hz, NTSC and PAL

-- A true digital video processor, adding picture adjustments not provided by many of today's displays

-- Audio lip sync delay, (compensates to 10 video frames)

-- Audio In and Out: analog L&R stereo pairs, SPDIF digital audio

-- Memorizes custom user settings for each input

-- Software upgradeable

-- User-friendly on-screen-display, IR remote, RS232 via the Pioneer Plasma Display, compatible with all control systems

The HD Xplorer(TM) by Key Digital(R) is available now, with an MSRP of $1,000

About Key Digital(R)

Key Digital Systems (Key Digital(R)), CES award-winning developer of leading-edge technology for HDTV applications, provides total video systems solutions. Key Digital(R) is at the forefront of the video industry for Home Theater Retailers, Custom Installers, System Integrators, Broadcasters, Manufacturers, and Consumers. For more information visit us at http://www.keydigital.com. For trade press, visit http://www.keydigital.com/tradepress.htm.

"

Elliot.Lazarus

Auditioning
Real Name
Elliot Lazarus
Thank you for the great input (no pun intended)

I am not sure where the problem is BUT, I do think it is with the receiver as I can use HDMI from the Direct TV to the Pioneer Media Center control box and from the Pioneer media center to the Plasma....but then I must use the speakers that are attached to the Pioneer Plasma.

Rule out bring it back to the HDMI from the receiver.

Elliot

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Elliot, no problem. I'd imagine the Key Digital unit is pricey. A few yrs. back I traded some excess store bought audio and video cabling I was not using for a Key Digital VGA distribution amp (8 inputs). I had no need for it but the cables were of no use to me at all and I do have an HD Tuner with a VGA out (I just use the component out in the main system and the 'S' out to the bedroom system on the other side of the wall) and I figured it might be of more use than nothing the cables. The Key Digital unit I have was (or is - might be still made) $899 list price. While, I realize many like the convenience of switching thru the rec'r, I like connecting directly to the TV. Does the Pioneer media center have an audio out? If so, you can connect that to the rec'r.

Elliot.Lazarus

Auditioning
Real Name
Elliot Lazarus
Hi,

Today I bought 2 Fiber optic cables....and took the DVD into the Denon A/V and with the other the Pioneer Media Center out to the Denon A/V.....then I used a Progressive (component Video) quality cable from the DVD to the Media Center and everything is working perfectly at 720i, 720p and 1080i

The only thing goes back to my mind, AGAIN.....and the question...would the HDMI setup be any better or the same?

Obviously if it is not working as a chain it is useless...but the thought lingers.

Regards

Elliot

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I'd contact Denon. There may be a firmware patch available for their implementation of HDMI on the receiver. All HDMI is not yet created equal and I'd wager the problem is with the receiver. If your DVD player has HDMI output, have you tried hooking that up directly to the media box?

Mort

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Elliott, some companies do not HDMI in the ... "best" way. Here's some suggestions though. Try powering the display and the source components off. Unplug them all. Wait 5 min or so. Now, plug them all back in and try powering the components up in different orders. You could also try this without unplugging anything. (Just power everything off.)

One big problem with HDMI is improper "handshaking" between the source component (DVD player, set top box, etc), and the display itself.

OK, and if you think it's the receiver, make sure you have HDMI chosen for the video feedthrough for the source you've chosen. You can also try powering the display on after or before the receiver. Also, be aware that the *other* main problem with HDMI is the HDCP protocal. Because the receiver in this case is used as a switcher, it must identifier itself in the HDCP chain as a pass-through device (or something). But some displays might not recognize a "passthrough" HDMI device as part of the chain. Or, the receiver might not be properly identifying itself.

Anyway, maybe some of that might help. :)

Elliot.Lazarus

Auditioning
Real Name
Elliot Lazarus
Good input, Kevin....thank you very much.

I tried to call Denon today and sat on hold for 45 minutes and went back to doing some work instead....save it for another day.

The setup is working now with the video HDMI from the media center up to the plasma and the audio Fiber optic going down to the A/V...

2 remotes to turn on and off....To be honest, I am afraid of taking it apart to test the HDMI and try to put it back together again.....I know, I know....Chicken.....

Elliot

Elliot.Lazarus

Auditioning
Real Name
Elliot Lazarus
that the 3806 does not support certain converter boxes and it sounds like my Direct TV Tivo box is one of them.

The tech was trying to get Tier 2 help but it was late on Friday.....so we will speak on Monday.

She suggested I call Direct TV support.

Film at 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks