HDMI newbie question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Broderick, Nov 8, 2005.

1. John Broderick

John Broderick Auditioning

I have read just enough to be confused.

My question is this: in setting up a home theater, is there a big difference between component video hookup and HDMI?

My understanding (probably flawed) is that component and HDMI are very similar, with HDMI just having both digital audio and video on one cable.

Reflecting on the the first question, can someone tell the difference between a video signal hooked up with HDMI and one with component video in terms of both a DirecTV receiver and a progressive scan DVD player.

Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

It is a grey area because sometimes it is better, sometimes no detectable difference, and sometimes it can actually be worse with any given combo of equipment and display.

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Component carries an analog signal, HDMI carries a digital signal. HDMI also carries an audio signal as you pointed out.

In theory, the HDMI signal could be better because it passes a digital video signal from your dvd player to your digital display without ever converting it. Your dvd player would have to convert the digital signal to analog to pass it through the component cables and then your display would convert the signal back to digital, so in theory, there could be some degradation of the signal.

But what if your source is an analog television signal from your cable box? Or what if your display has a native resolution that doesn't match your dvd or cable box? Either situation could throw a variable into your results.

In practice, both are great. One might be better than the other depending on your particular application. Try them both and if you notice a difference, go with the better one. The answer is really that simple.

4. John Broderick

John Broderick Auditioning

Details:

I'm sitting on the fence between getting 2 different plasma EDTVs. One has an HDMI built in, the other does not (but you can add it). Both are Panasonic - TH-42PWD8UK (no HDMI) versus TH-42PX50U. The PWD8UK is a monitor because it has no tuner and no speakers ($100 cheaper) and supposedly has the better picture and I've read at least 1 post that said the HDMI hookup is the way to go for HD on this particular monitor.

I have a Denon AVR-1804. I can route component video through it, making life a breeze. It does not have a HDMI hookup.

I am going to use DirecTV HD, and that has an HDMI and component video hookup. If I use the component, I can route everything through the amp. If I use HDMI, I'm pretty sure it makes everything a little trickier.

From this perspectve, is it worth hooking up the HDMI?

I'm just trying to figure out which TV to get and how to hook it up. Go with the monitor with component hookup, monitor and add HDMI or the television that comes with HDMI.

Thanks.

5. John S

John S Producer

You have to try it to know. Sometimes it is better enough to be totally worth it. HDMI is important for being able to get any HD content in the future. HDCP will become a factor at some point in time, if not already.