What's new

HDMI newbie question (1 Viewer)

Jason*

Auditioning
i have a Sony HS20 projector hooked up to the Panasonic S97 DVD player via HDMI. with normal settings, the image seems to be 'squashed' vertically.

When connected via component, the projector allows for a variety of 'modes' like Zoom and Wide Zoom etc. I can usually use to correct aspect ratio problems, but these settings are unavailable via HDMI.

The DVD has HDMI settings 720p and 1080i, but both seem to have the same 'squashed' effect when projected.

can anyone help?

thanks!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The 720p and 1080i formats are officially 16:9 only. Source material in other aspect ratios is supposed to be letterboxed or pillarboxed (unused side bars) by the production method or the source device so that the video frame represents a 16:9 shaped space.

But 480p and 480i material may officially be in either a 4:3 or 16:9 video frame. I heartily discourage the purchase of TV's (and projectors) that do not offer the 4:3 aspect ratio choice for these formats.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jason*

Auditioning
thanks for replying alan. so what ur saying is that many DVD's, even though it says "widescreen' on the box, are actually in 4:3 ?

Also, if i understand you correctly, you are saying that basically my projector will 'force' everything to 16:9 'shape' when i use HDMI as a source (although it handles 4:3 for tv fine) ?

-still confused,

jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks