What's new

HDMI necessary for Blue Ray/HDDVD ? (1 Viewer)

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a chance to sell my Kenwood 6.1 receiver and would like to buy a 7.1 receiver because I just finished my home theater and I have four surround speakers. My question is, with Blue Ray and HD DVD coming eventually, will my receiver have to have HDMI if I want to listen to the new surround formats that will come with high definition dvd's? Or, can I use coax or optical inputs the way I am now? Thanks for the input.

JoanPablo_T

Stunt Coordinator
You will be able to use the optical / dig coax, however you will get a downmixed soundtrack. So not the full Hi-Rez. If the receiver has 5.1 analog inputs and you purchase a next gen player with a built in decoder, you can run 6 channel analog to the receiver and receive the High-Rez. If you want the promised '1 cable solution' get a receiver with HDMI spec 1.3

Good Luck!

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
How about if you HDTV only has component inputs? Can you run a HD-DVD player with HDMI to your receiver, and out to componets? Or do I have to throw away my HDTV, and buy a new one with HDMI to get the full res-effect?

In the next few year, someone will come out with yet another XYZ connector which is better than HDMI, and we all have to switch to it if one wants to get all the features the the new HD-HD-HD-DVD player which promises to have 3xtimes the resolution of your current HDTV. Wow! Pay more money!

Regards,
orestes

Robert JW

Auditioning
HDMI will not downgrade to Component.

not only that, but the movie houses have dictated FLAGS or TOKENS ICT or something similar to say no HI Def.

meaning, down graded 540 Lines.

personally. i feel cheated.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess you'll have to wait for Blu-Ray which says it will at least have component with 1080i capability. The bad news...the first gen players appear to be about 2x the price of the HD DVD players.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
So does a blu-ray player cost about $1000? If this is the case, I will wait until the next round. What about PS3? Isn't the PS3 a blu-ray player too? If so, will it also cost $1000?

Regards,
orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Thanks Chris, and that's what I thought the PS3 will cost; however, I am in doubt if the PS3 will come to America in November at all.

Regards,
orestes

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
According to everything that I've read on the subject component outs will be available on most HD-DVD and BluRay plaers, but will be only 540 lines. HDMI out will be the only HD output available. Their thinking is copy protection.
I'd be interested in a link about the 1080i component for BluRay if you have something John.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
So if I have just a HDTV unit with component only inputs, then am I out of luck as far as getting a true HD image thru components?

BTW, I read the article; however, I still do not understand what the highest HD is. It says that HDTV units with HDMI will get 1920x1080p output whereas a HDTV unit like mine will just get 1080i. So can someone explain in plain English or Spanish what this all means? Thanks.

OK, I finally found the answer to my own question. Here it is:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html

Thus, if I understand it correctly 1080i ~ 720p [ or just about 720p], and thus it is a lower resolution from the 1080p. Hmm, I wonder if my HDTV supporst 1080p even though it has only components. I will have to wait until I get home to find out.

:angry:
orestes

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, that is the way it seems. I'm in the same boat though, and I don't plan on replacing my TV in the immediate future, so I will likely hold off for at least the second generation and do the TV and HD or BR player at the same time.

1080P is the latest and greatest.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator

NO. 720P/1080i is HD. Your missing out on the latest and greatest, but unless you plan on replacing all of your equipment every few years, you always will be. Such is the way of technology... damn them for developing new stuff that I want to buy! damn them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks