What's new

HDMI just stopped working on Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS (1 Viewer)

PTDOCTOR

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
I have owned a Pioneer Elite VSX82-TXS since late 2006. In November, I finally got the TV I wanted and made the switch to setting everything up through HDMI. Oppo 970, PS3 Slim, Comcast cable box all into the receiver through HDMI, and output to Sony LCD through HDMI. Took my time setting things up, and everything worked perfectly, imagine that!! My only issue was that every now and then the HDMI signal would be lost for a second while watching tv, the tv would go black for just a second, the HDMI signal on the receiver would blink a little and then reconnect and everything would be great. Now it has just stopped connecting!
Last night, the kids watched a movie on PS3, worked great, I switch over to watch a little tv, works great, time for the adults to watch a movie, switch over to the PS3 again, it does not connect "handshake", turn everything off and on a few times, no connection, Hmmmm. So I turn back to TV, now that does not connect, lets try the oppo, that does not connect either. What happened?
Trying to troubleshoot this am. HDMI indicator on receiver will flash red several times and trys to connect. Every now and then a little audio comes through for a few seconds, but thats it. It seems like it is trying to make the handshake. Sometimes it won't even attempt to make the connection, the HDMI symbol does not even flash. I have tried several different start up sequences, but that has not helped. I have reset the receiver to factory settings, nothing.
My receiver was built July 2006 and does not have any firmware updates.
It is just so odd to me that everything was working fine and now its not. I did not change any settings on anything, it just has spontaneously stopped connecting.
Do cables go bad? I have heard that it does not matter, so don't get expensive ones, so I bought $5 cables from Fry's, beat that for cheap.
Any suggestions?

Surfer39

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']Hello PTDoctor,[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial'] [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']I just came across your post. I have the same receiver you have and had the exact issue you mentioned above just happen to me. My HDMI signal has been going in an out for some time and mine just stopped working last night. [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']Can you tell me what you ended up doing to fix yours? I just sent my receiver to an authorized Pioneer repair shop in Daytona this afternoon. But I am curious, if you were able to resolve the problem. [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']I tested all my cables and reset my receiver back to factory defaults as well, but it never resolved my issue.[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']I hope to hear from you and your experience with this problem.[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']Thank you in advance![/FONT][/SIZE][FONT= 'arial'][/FONT]
[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']Jeff[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px][FONT= 'arial']Font reduced by moderator; no need for 16pt. type.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Joel:

It is a known issue with certain '05 and '06 AVRs.

Here is a link to tech support on Pioneer.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Important:+Notice+about+Firmware+Upgrade+for+Certain+%2705+and+%2706+Home+A+V+Receivers

Looks like it will require a firmware upgrade and you will need to send in the unit to have it done by Pioneer.

Hope this helps.

Parker

FoFitty

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike K
I also have the VSX 82TXS and the Blu Ray video seems to stopped working. I have it hooked up to Dish receiver, PS3, Blu Ray. The Dish works fine audio and video. The Blu Ray only has sound but no video, it gives the message "not supported mode" on the screen. The PS3 does not recognize that a blu ray disc is even loaded, but it will play a DVD no problem. I also had a DVD hooked up via HDMI and it played that no problem. I did swap out HDMI cables to isolate the problem and the cables were good.
I am just trying to figure out if this is something that can be repaired or if it is time to replace the receiver.
Thanks,
Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you recently hook up the PS3?
Sounds like a HDCP problem. Happens all the time when you don't follow the correct "hook stuff up" procedure.

FoFitty

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike K
No, it has been hooked up since beginning of 08 when brand new. It has been working fine until recently. My first thought was that the PS3 was going bad and even did a little research online and others were having the "laser" go bad. I eliminated this problem by hooking up the PS3 directly ti the TV HDMI and it worked fine.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is the firmware up to date?
No video usually means an HDCP problem. IF you connected it to the TV and it worked, then the AVR it won't work on, then the PS3 isn't "forgetting" the TV.

FoFitty

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike K
Thanks for your replies.
I have not updated the firmware, Im not sure of the manuf date. From what Ive read updating the firmware is not something I can do myself, right? Im not savvy on the HDCP and what that means, but Im hoping the receiver can be saved for this function. Im sure I can get the video to work with the component cables, but would rather not "settle".

FoFitty

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike K
I was thinking you were referring to the firmware on the receiver. My PS3 is updated with the latest and greatest.
I have isolated the problem to the receiver as it duplicates the problem with the blu-ray player and PS3, sound only no video.
I have submitted the issue to Pioneer and awaiting a response, Im not holding my breath though.
Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you have a recent power outtage?
It is possible the HDCP got fubar...
Unplug it all and after 15 minutes or so...hook it all back up and plug it back into the wall...

FoFitty

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike K
Now that you mention it, we did a couple of weeks ago. Interesting.
I will try and unplug everything and see if that miraculously fixes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks