HDMI Inputs

Jason Kim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hey everyone,
What exactly does the HDMI inputs do? I've been looking at some receivers and some have 2 HDMI inputs and some have only 1. What do these do?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
HDMI is the next step up from DVI or Component Video Switching. HDMI carries both the digital audio and video all on one cable.

The purpose of any A/V amp is to have the amp do all the switching for all your inputs and use your TV (with HDMI input) as a monitor.

That way you don' have to switch inputs on the tv everytime you want to change sources.

Your TV always stays in the same HDMI input, and your Receiver sends the audio out to your speakers and the corresponding Video signal to the TV.

Most everything will be HDMI in the near future (until the next "new" thing)

Just like the old Coax and leave the TV on Channel 3 and using the cable (ouch did I say cable???) I mean satellite receiver outputting channel 3 to the TV all the time. You never had to do anything more than turn the tv on and make sure it didn't leave channel 3

Now in the 21st century it's going to be leave your tv on the HDMI input and let the Receiver do all the work.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron Piko