HDMI inputs/outputs in receivers.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Milillo, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Mike Milillo

Mike Milillo Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine is buying a new receiver and wants to make sure it adequate, without breaking the bank. He found an Onkyo that was marked down from 1000 to 600, but it doesn't have HDMI inputs or outputs.

My questions are....

1. Is HDMI both audio and video?
    2. I assume you only need the HDMI ports in an AV receiver if you want to use the video switching capabilities of it.
    3. Can you use HDMI for video directly from the TV to the HD source? And use an optical audio cable for the sound from the HD source to the AV receiver?

I really know nothing about HDMI, so any help would be great.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

1. yes, but most consumer products these days only use hdmi for video.

2. i'm not sure what you're asking here.

3. yes. you can go from source to monitor and then connect digital audio output to the av receiver.

kevin t

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

bear in mind that HDMI is a digital transport mechanism.

now, only your DVD player has a HDMI. the rest - sat box, VCR/PVR are all using component (or S-Video) AND your receiver may only put out OSD (if any) on COMPOSITE - are all analog.

unless the receiver switching also converts analog video to digital, I think you will STILL need the other connections from your receiver to the display

as for question #2: yes you want switching, and video conversion from analog to digital. It would be really useful if it did this (upconversion and upscaling would be a plus) because then you can get rid of all the other cables going from the receiver to the display.

the current version (1.2) of HDMI also supports SACD (DVD-A was in version 1.1); so another reason you want HDMI on the receiver is to use one cable instead of the usual six analog cables required for SACD/DVD-A playback.

4. Mike Milillo

Great, thanks for the help, I love this site.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...ec_hometheater

This is an Onkyo that my friend was checking out. He said he can get the previous model for a few hundreds less, but it doesn't have the HDMI switching. He wanted to know if he needed to buy this receiver or if he could get the older one and be safe.

Also, will the above receiver allow you to only have the HDMI port going to the display for video. In other words, will it carry all my video signals to the TV? If I have the DVD hooked up with component, the VCR hooked up with S-video or composite, and some video game systems hooked up with s-video, will it convert all these different signals to carry over HDMI into the display?

5. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Quick review of the specs doesn't show anything there that says anything about conversions. I'd ask CSW or Onkyo specifically but I'm betting it won't switch anything except the two HDMI inputs.

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

I think the number of receivers that currently do HDMI transconversion (analog -> HDMI) can be counted on two hands; JVC D402/D702, Denon 4306/4806, Yamaha 2600/4600

certainly more next year

7. Mike Milillo

ok, thanks again for the help

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Mike: check your PMs.

9. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

the new Pioneer elite series, 72TXi and 74TXVi, do analog to digital conversion to HDMI/DVI.

I own a 74TXVi and upgraded from a 54TX and am very happy with it!

Check it out... might be what you are looking for!

10. Mike Milillo

cool, thanks, I will look at that, I'm sure it's expensive though, lol

11. Mike Milillo

If you run an HDMI setup into an AV receiver, does the receiver take the audio and output it to the speakers and take the video and output it to the TV?