What's new

HDMI input problems with my Panasonic DVD-S77S (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Actually, its my father in laws unit that we bought him for christmas. We hooked it up for him of the holidays and it worked flawlessly. Great picture on player. We used the provided HDMI cable to connect it to his new Panasonic 500u plasma TV and configured the player to upscale to 1080i. No problems until last week when he called and said he wasn't getting any signal from the player to the tv. After extensive over the phone troubleshooting, I had him disconnect the cable from the tv and reconnect, no change. Then I had him disconnect the cable from the player and reconnect and he had his signal. I thought that had solved the problem, but apparantly not. Now he has to unplug the cable and reconnect it every time he wants to watch a movie. Does this sound like a problem with the unit? Maybe the cable? Or is there a setting that may have been changed in the players menu that disables HDMI output? Anyone else have this problem? TIA

-Phil

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S77 hooked to my Sony 36XS955 and do not have that problem. Last year when I was researching DVD players I recall that some people were having this problem, but it was not restricted to any one unit or TV.

My memory is shady on this, but I seem to recall that the remedy was to turn on the DVD player first before the TV. If the TV does not detect a signal at that input when you turn it on, it may not detect it when the DVD player goes on.

There was an expression that was used about this. I think it was "handshake."

You may want to do a search on this here and over at AVS Forum.

Sorry I can't remember more.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Tom is likely correct, the issue is the HDMI handshake. This is related to HDCP and some combinations of players and displays have this problem for undetermined reasons but the order the devices are powered on often solves the issue.

Chris

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Yes it's a HDMI handshake issue

See what happens when you rush a product to market and let the consumer do your trouble-shooting:D

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I have had that exact setup and the PX50U series hooked up.
It may be a handshake issue, but it's odd that it developed over time.
I'd call Panasonic 1 800 211 PANA
You might need a firmware upgrade by SD card.
Make sure your HDMI cable is puched in completely especially on the display. Using tape as a counterweight to the cable may be a good idea.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
NEVER LIKED THE HDMI PLUG REALLY. PISS-POOR EFFORT

WHEN DID WE HAVE TO USE TAPE ON COMPONENT?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input guys. My Father in Law figured it out I guess. He said that if he pulled the cable out of the DVD player just a little bit, the picture came back. The socket was letting the HDMI cable to be plugged in too far apparently. Anyways, he took it back and they gave him a new one that works just fine. I'll let him know about the handshake issue though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks