What's new

HDMI/HDCP Errors (1 Viewer)

Curtis*H

Auditioning
I have the Yamaha HTR 5990, havn't watched a movie in about a month & 1/2, went to watch one an hour ago and I get the HDMI/HDCP Errors on the receiver screen.

Audio is fine, obviously, but just boggles the mind that after sitting idle for so long why now?

Maybe HDMI cable?
I checked the connection from the RX'vr to the TV all is fine.
So much for movies over the memorial day weekend :frowning:

Any help
Thanx in advance
Curtis

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You could try turning everything off, and then try turning things on in a different order. HDMI can sometimes be finicky about the handshake process that happens between components.

Or, try direct from the player to the display, and use coax or toslink to the receiver for audio.

Curtis*H

Auditioning
My DVD player isn't HDMI capable so unfortunately I can't go direct to the display.
Curious as to the audio thing Kevin, I'm using optic but would that be a possible cause?

I stand corrected, I did not know that the HDMI carried the audio too.
I'm still a noob to this stuff :)

Curtis*H

Auditioning
After doing some research (Googling) on this issue there were some viable scenarios as to why this might happen but none of which pertained to my specific prob.

After I basically "restarted" the system again and in no particular powering up sequence, it's working fine. I did try this yesterday w/ different orders of turning on the components but still had the errors.

My wife did indicate to me this morning that the middle of last week we had some thunderstorms in the area that did have some effect on our cable internet connections but none were direct hits, they only caused some brief loss of connection.

Would weather electrical disturbances cause the "handshakes" to be interuppted temporarily? Is the HDMI that sensitive?

The whole system is on a UPS/Surge protection.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Curtis- If your player isn't HDMI compatible, then why use HDMI from the receiver? You aren't gaining anything, and that extra conversion could be hurting video quality anyway. Typically, the best video quality you will get will be the best connection between the player and display. Short and sweet. :)

Weather disturbances themselves *might* have an effect, but not if they were last week. ;)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member

Technology overload rears it's ugly head. :D

Next time, think old-skool: rather than no movies at all, use those "old fashioned" connection methods like component, S-video, (or if you just have one RCA cord lying around) composite.

HDMI is a friggin' joke and I'll bet most of it's problems originate with the copy protection system Hollywood made the manufacturers include with it, because of course, we're ALL trying to rip them off :angry: (but IMO the pirates will eventually just hack into it anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks