What's new

HDMI - HD DVR, or Upscaling DVD? (1 Viewer)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I've got 50" Sony HDTV, and currently I've got my upscaling DVD player connected to it's lone HDMI port. I've got a Comcast DVR that I'm replacing with the new TivoHD. Since I'm back there messing with connections anyway, I was wondering if it would make sense for me to use the TV's lone HDMI connection for the Tivo, rather than the DVD player. The other device will be connected with component video. In both cases, the audio is being handled by the receiver, not the TV.

Comments, suggestions, rotten fruit?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Most upscaling DVD players can only upscale over HDMI, being limited to 480p over component. So it would make more sense to use the HDMI for the DVD player. That said - you may not notice much difference either way. Remember your Sony (assuming LCD/LCOS/plasma model) upscales the component video to its native resolution anyway. Upscaling DVD player is just basically a contest to see whether the scaler in the DVD player does more or less damage to the picture than the one in the TV. Differences will usually be subtle -- to get a big difference, upgrade to HD-DVD/Blu-ray ASAP. HD-DVD is down to $240 shipped these days.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Makes sense, thanks. Not ready to make the HD/BlueRay DVD switch just yet, maybe around Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks