HDMI: For Upscalling DVD player or Digital HD cable?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by john_kassimatis, Oct 11, 2005.

1. john_kassimatis

Hi all..

My TV has a single HDMI port. I need your opinion on whether I should use it for my digital HD cable box, or for an upscalling DVD player.

Do the upscalling players made a very noticable difference over a solid progressive scan player?

Also, what are some good brands/model of upscalling players out there? Any of the newer Sony's good?

Thanks so much for your input!

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I've seen upscaling players make a nice differnce. HDMI is not necessarily noted to be trouble free. I've read many post where people have had problems using it. That being said, I'd think it would be based on your viewing preferences - e.g. movies or HD TV

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I should also note I've seen posts here about a manual HDMI switcher that is very reasonable. May want to do a search in the tweak area so perhaps you don't need to make a choice.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

It depends on what you watch the most and what will give you the most pleasure. I don't have HDTV but I have an upscaling player. Though I'm not using HDMI, my understanding the upscaling players that scale movies via HDMI is great. I'm having it done via component and I'm very happy. If you are happy with service that's giving you HDTV, maybe a player that upscales via component will help your decision which would free up the HDMI connection.

6. john_kassimatis

I was thinking the same..

Advice or recommendations on good HDMI Upscalling DVD players?

I do know and understand that HDMI is a still developing technology, but so far, at least with my HD cable box I haven't had any issues.