What's new

HDMI Error 1 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't want to post a new topic on this, but I didn't see my issue covered in the other HDMI error threads.

I just picked up an HD-A!, and I'm having an issue with HDMI error 1, with a Sony 42WE655 Wega. When I first set everything up, I could get into the menus and make all the adjustments there, and I would see the No Disk message when there wasn't a disk in the drive. When I put in an HD-DVD, it would try to load, the screen would flash a couple of times, then the HDMI Error 1 message would appear on the player.

I've spent the last few hours trying different things, and downloading the 1.4 firmware update in an effort to troubleshoot this issue. With help on another forum (lcvg.com/forum). I've tried:
- Turning on the TV and setting the input, then turning on the HD-DVD player. Also turning on the player and then the TV.

- Using a Standard DVD (still get the HDMI error after loading)

- Powering everything down, unplugging both the TV and the player, then after a minute or so plugged in the TV and powered it up, then the player and powered it up.

- Setting the Voutput to component, powering down the player, unplugging it, waiting for a minute or so, plugging it back in, power on, change Voutput to HDMI. (This has got me to the state where I can't even see the menus over the HDMI output now.)

I'm running out of ideas to try before calling Toshiba and Sony's support. Any other suggestions for things I can try?

Thanks,
Aaron

Pete T C

Second Unit
Sounds like another fun HDCP problem.

Unfortunately a lot of early HDMI devices did not have the spec properly implemented resulting in a lot of compatibility errors. One known example is the Sanyo Z2. I would contact Toshiba and let them know your model TV so they can troubleshoot it for future firmware.

You might as well run component now since ICT is not enabled and you are getting full resolution via that route.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I didn't feel like spending $70+ at Best Buy for a 0 and 1 transmitter. With digital the cables don't usually make much difference, although the possibility of a bad cable is there. If I can find an inexpensive cable locally, I may try the cable swap later.

I did hook up via Component today, and the disks played fine through that. At least I know the player can play the disks now. The Audio improvement and great video is nice. I'd like to keep the player :) I'll be calling up Toshiba and Sony (for TV) to see if they have any suggestions, it may just be an HDCP/HDMI handshaking issue that I haven't been able to get to work right yet.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I had a repair person out to check my TV a week ago, turns out my HDMI input on the TV is bad. Sony's covering the repair, even though the tv is slightly out of warranty, and it should be fixed on Thursday. I'll try to update the thread if that takes care of the issue. If not, yet another call to Toshiba will be in order.

In the mean time, I've watched Bourne Supremacy and 16 Blocks via component, and they both looked really good. I've had some odd audio issues, but haven't been able to find a solution to that (what sounds like garbled/staticy audio).

A

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

The random "garbled/staticy audio" was only an issue with version 1.0 players as far as I know and went away with version 1.2. Did you ever get the player updated?

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
My player came with 1.3, and I updated it to 1.4 as part of my HDMI troubleshooting issue. Someone over at AVS had the same issue with a 30ES and I have a 50ES (Sony Receivers), but neither of us have been able to figure out a solution yet.

A

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
HDMI is go!

The repair was just completed about 20 minutes ago, and I'm now able to watch movies over the HDMI connection. It was a pretty painless repair, 1 part needed to be replaced and all seems good now.

Woo hoo!

A

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A different kind of error: during firmware upgrade attempts, is anyone also getting a "Can not find server" message on screen and "VUP Error 121" on the player's display?

Also, has anyone who purchased a Tosh in recent months/weeks and who mailed the request card for the firmware upgrade disc actually received it yet?

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I believe you need to enable DNS and DHCP (I think that's it) in the player setup to get the player to connect. For the firmware CD try calling the 1-800 number (it's in the papers that came with the player) and request the CD. This usually gets it to you in about a week.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
Aaron Schmitt, firmware version will be out in a few days so update and see if that fixes the audio skips you have noticed. I had a few titles that did this and I found if I used a dry tissue paper to clean off the disc that solved the problem. Some use compressed air to blow off any dust off the discs. I guess these discs are a bit more sensitive to dirt or dust than standard DVD's. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Robert. I turned on DHCP and DNS when I first encountered the problem a few days ago and that still didn't solve it.

Tried it again today and it worked on the first attempt, no problems. I think there may be Tosh server issues/traffic at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks