Hdmi / Dvi

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Paolo DT, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Paolo DT

Paolo DT Auditioning

Hello everybody.
    As I am about to upgrade my current Fujitsu plasma screen to a new Panasonic HD 50" monitor, and need to choose which imput cards to fill the slots with, I wanted to ask, am i correct in assuming that the only difference between an HDMI and DVI input is that the first also handles audio signals, and the second doesn't?
    Obviously, if that is the case, I only need a DVI input on my monitor as it has no speakers and all audio will go through the AV processor.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Paolo

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

You are correct, DVI does not send audio signals just HDMI. We are not there yet, but based on some information from CES, the new high level receivers will have HDMI I believe.

3. Paolo DT

Paolo DT Auditioning

Thank you Jerome,

since I recently upgraded my AV receiver too, i guess I'll worry about that later and stick a DVI card in the monitor for now...but thanks for clearing that up.

4. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Is there any downgrade in signal/picture with a cable that converts HDMI to DVI? Thanks[​IMG]

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No, it is essentially the HDMI connection minus the audio feed. Kind of like hooking up the yellow analog video without the red/white audio, except it's digital (and much higher quality).

6. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Cool, thanks

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Remember though that HDMI is 12bit video vs 8bit on DVI. SInce most any new player you buy now has HDMI, why not just get an HDMI port on the new set? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

8. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Hi Shane,

The TV I already have just has DVI.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Arnie,
    I was more referring to Paulo.

There shouldn't be any downgrade but there are some issues converting HDMI to DVI but it's more of a dvd player issue than anything. Other devices like Set Top Boxes and such don't have such issues.