What's new

HDMI/DVI receivers or HT processors (1 Viewer)

paul koster

Agent
I am currently shopping for a home theater setup. I have my eye on either a Panasonic or Pioneer 42" or 50" plasma tv. I am also looking at a Denon or Pioneer DVD plaver. From what I have been reading the last several months, HDMI and its predecessor DVI is the way to get a cleaner picture with digital video (DVI only) as well as digital sound both with HDMI. The names mentioned all come with DVI/HDMI. Since the tv will be mounted on the wall and all connections will be run thru the wall, I don't want to run dozens of cables thru the wall. This appears to be a benifit with HDMI, JUST 1 cable to receiver from tv. My question is this: Is it necessary to have a pre/pro or a dedicated home theater receiver with DVI/HDMI connections in order to make use using the DVI/HDMI connections on the tv and dvd player?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If one cable to the TV is your main goal then you're better off doing it over component video since there are several good receivers that will up-convert composite and s-video to component. The Panasonic XR-70 has HDMI in and out but does not upconvert other connections to HDMI so you'd have to run a cable for each type of connection you're using. The Sony 9000ES has DVI ins and out but i don't think it upconverts other inputs to DVI either. DVI and HDMI will give great PQ given the right source, especially with digital displays (Plasma, LCOS, DLP, LCD) but it doesn't seem to be the one-cable solution just yet. You can get great PQ with component video as well, you're just introducing more D-A and A-D conversions. Component video is, at this moment, still much more widely accepted and much more versatile.

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I would highly recommend running cables for HDMI, component, and audio (if your planning to use the TV's speakers). Though this will require the running of five cables it will insure that you don't have to do it again in the future. HDMI receivers will become common within 3 years, but currently none can upconvert the other signals to HDMI. As such you would most likely be better off buying a good receiver with component video upconversion and using it for the next 5 years or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks