What's new

HDMI/DVI Input Question (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Hello ... my Samsung has two inputs connections on the back of the TV, but need some clarity as to what each is. The input is labeled "HDMI/DVI IN". Under that is input connector 1 and input connector 2 (both are the same). Does that mean that input connector 1 is HDMI and input connector 2 is DVI? Or, are these the same thing????

Thanks!

John Gido

Second Unit
If you gave us the model number of the Samsung TV someone might be able to better assist you.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Weird that they would label this way, it's inaccurate. Maybe they are using the same chassis for slightly different models that use different connectors in that spot. So one model sticks 2 HDMI there while another has a DVI. (say if they were using the same panel for both TVs which use HDMI these days & also for computer monitors which still take DVI).

Anyway, HDMI & DVI look very different. HDMI is very small, thin rectangular, somewhat resembling a USB connector. DVI connectors are huge, trapezoidal, have many pins and are similar in size to the old parallel printer ports.

It's likely both are HDMI, if there are two of them of the same type.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It probably says HDMI/DVI because a DVI-out can be plugged into a HDMI-in with a converter or HDMI/DVI cable. Silly, but that's the only way I see it.

ttribe

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Tribe

Agreed. It is somewhat rare to find an ACTUAL DVI connection on a new HDTV these days. My guess is they labelled it this way because it will accept a signal from a DVI-Out with an adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks