HDMI DVD Players?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Halen, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

I have a JVC LCD with HDMI input. I'm looking for recomendations for a DVD player. All I really need are brands and model numbers, and I'll do my best to research and see which would best suite my needs.

Oh, and just to filter out a few, Sub $300 price tags please! Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

I'd be curious too. Lots of Fixed pixel stuff being sold today...

What are some of the best 720p upconverting players out there via HDMI/DVI with HDCP suppored and all????

3. BrianWH

BrianWH Agent

The crowd favorite (or one of them) around here seems to be the Panasonic S97. However, this player is becoming hard to find as it is being replaced in the near future with model S77. I found mine on close-out at Tweeter a couple of weeks ago.

Brgds,
    Brian

4. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

I just went to my local Tweeter store here in Houston. Customer service was horrible! Like they didn't want to really help me!! Anyhow, they didn't have the Panasonic S97. I went to Best Buy and bought a Toshiba SD-5980. It's the only HDMI DVD player they had. I know, I know, "they suck"...well, at least the 5970 did. I just figured that I could use it while I tried to find the Panasonic. I mean I do have 30 days to return it! It'll do. And who knows, it might work out perfectly for me.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The Oppo Digital player that is currently out will upscale over DVI. It is rated a 96(I think or 95) on Secrets and is 2nd in line behind the Top rated $3,500 Denon 5910.

The best place to buy one is thru http://www.extremephono.com

6. Halen

Halen Stunt Coordinator

Ok, the Toshiba SD-5980 is a pretty damn good player!

I've read a ton of complaints about the 5960 and the 5970. I can say that I haven't found any of the same issues with this player. Further more, it looks pretty darn good even with the included HDMI cable that Toshiba gives you!