HDMI & DVD picture quality on a CRT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael_Sieto, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Michael_Sieto

Michael_Sieto Auditioning

I've just recently purchased a Pioneer Elite 530HDI CRT projection tv and was looking at purchasing a DVD player w/ DVI/HDMI outputs. When talking to someone at Good Guys and Best Buy, both salespersons told me that the best picture I could get from DVDs is using component video on a CRT projection. Can someone elaborate on this?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

DVI/HDMI will be approximately equal to component on CRT. The reason DVI is better on digital sets is because the signal never has to go through a conversion. But if you're using a CRT the signal will have to be converted in the set so there's no real benefit of DVI. However, DVI/HDMI should not be any worse than component, so either one should be fine for you.

3. Michael_Sieto

Michael_Sieto Auditioning

So, if I get High Def through OTA or DirecTV HD, then I don't need to buy those expensive HDMI/DVI cables? I can just use component? If this is the case, why bother putting HDMI or DVI inputs on CRT projection TVs?

4. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

A selling point for the less informed....

Better yet, to assure forward compatibly with future players.

5. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

You can get cheap DVI to HDMI cables. I got a 6' one for $20 from STSI.com and it works fine.

My Hitachi RP-CRT has a HDMI input and 2 component inputs. I think DVDs look a little better from the HDMI upscaled to 1080i by my ATI video card (played with NVDVD) than component 1080i from my MIT MyHD-100 card.

However, please note that my comparison is not for the same player.

There's nothing wrong with putting HDMI or DVI on a CRT set. Most sets have full digital processing before the signal is output. By using HDMI or DVI you're bypassing 1 level of D/A and A/D. Bypassing additional D/A and A/D steps isn't a bad thing.

6. John S

John S Producer

Because the more inputs the better, always, that is why it is there. You do realize, that the movie makers want it all to be DVI with HDCP for the longer term future right?

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

in my case, there was a slight benefit to using the dvi to my rptv. specifically a slightly brighter pic as well as smoother curves.

it was very slight, but it was definitely there.