HDMI DVD output to RPTV worth it? I need a new DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris T. Kennedy, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Chris T. Kennedy

Chris T. Kennedy Stunt Coordinator

Hey all.

I bought an Hitachi 57S715 this past weekend, and it will be delivered to my new apt in about 15 days (because I have to move in first).

I am upgrading from a trusty old Philips Magnavox 27" television - I have been using the S-video connection from my Sony DVP-C650D DVD player. It is somewhat dated and does not have progressive output capabilities.

Obviously, I want to upgrade my DVD player - but I was under the assumption that progressive output via component would be just fine. Can I take advantage of a DVD player with an HDMI output with an CRT RPTV?

In my "need to buy a TV thread," matt-f made some suggestions (if you will allow me to quote you here, matt-f):

Do any of you use any of these players? What do you think? Does anyone have any other suggestions? matt-f, please feel free to chime back in.

Is actively seeking a player with DVD-Audio or SACD worth it? How much can I save if I don't go with either of those?

So the bottom line is - What is the best, affordable DVD player for my TV?

2. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Have a look at the DVD shootout.

S97 isn't on there because it has yet to be reviewed.

matt

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I have the XP30. It is a great basic DVD player, no upconversion, but one of the best progressive players ever made.

My tv is a RP-LCD and converts all signals to 720p. It does a good job of it, so I saw no need for an "upconverting" player.

You have to decide whether DVD-A and SACD are worth it to you. I believe there is a very shallow offering of titles and they are sold at a premium price ... I don't see any great onrush of titles coming either, despite the formats having been around for quite some time. You would have to have a receiver/prepro capable of accepting the multichannel inputs to benefit from the formats though.

4. Chris T. Kennedy

Wow. That DVD shootout provides some excellent breakdowns of the players. The "explanation page" is done very well.

Elinor - I am beginning to think that DVD-Audio and SACD are things that I would say "oh cool" if the player I am buying has them....and then never use them. I have browsed the sections at the stores a bit over the years and haven't found any titles I would be super interested in hearing.

This Hitachi 57S715 mentions "Virtual HD" 1080p (which kinda sounds like a marketing ploy to me - but it didn't effect the reviews of the TV or my purchase). It mentions that it up converts standard video signals up to 1080p. So the only data I currently have about upconversion is on that for standard video.

A page I found which sells the Panasonic DVD-XP30 lists it as discontinued. Amazon lists it as discontinued and lists the S97 as "not stocked or discontinued." Are there places that don't have the S97 yet...or what is going on?

Also - some have said that the HDMI connection has looked worse on their TV when compared to the progressive component connection. Did they just ...choose poorly? (I can't remember their exact hardware) - Is there any reason to worry about this?

5. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Chris,

The Virtual HD is the upscaler, nothing to worry about because it does an excellent job. Basically it the Hitachi upscales any source to the 1080p then you have the user selectable 1080i/540p.

The amazon page is messed up again because it isn't accurate. You can find the S97 at OneCall or J & R who are online retailers.

The XP30/50 and RP82 have been discontinued two years ago. They are like legendary players, so if you want to find them, you're going to have to go and bid on Ebay.

The HDMI/component, it really depends on how the dvd and the player handles it which will give you the answer in the particular case.

matt

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Yes, the S97 is so new it's not showing up everywhere yet, and the XP30/50 are so old you can't get them at *most* retailers.

However, persistent folks are finding small caches of XP30s in retailers' old inventories. I have read of some individuals coming across the odd one or two, and like Matt said, there is Ebay too.

I got mine on Ebay, new in box with US warranty, about 4 months ago. The seller even provided his original sales receipt in case I needed it for warranty work.

I believe the S97 has some reported issues of macroblocking, I don't know how widespread it is, but if you are a very picky viewer it may bother you. If I were in the market I would want to wait to see what the SHootout guys say, I'm sure a review is forthcoming.

7. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Elinor, that is correct.

There is an MB but it has to do with Faroudja itself. Panasonic and Faroudja are working on the problem to fix it.

8. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Matt, hopefully that doesn't mean "the check is in the mail" ... [​IMG]

The same Faroudja bug has been in some Denon players for quite some time now.

9. Chris T. Kennedy

Yeah. Those shootout guys are pretty cool. Macroblocking is apparently something I am not a big fan of. (Now I have a term to go with it)

Is this a "sucks all the time" item, a "sucks some of the time" item or a "sucks in some incarnations of X DVD player (but not all of that model)" item?

I am assuming that it is an "all the time" (in certain Panasonic and Denon models from what I have read so far) and has to do with whatever chip (or technology) that Faroudja provides?

10. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Pretty much any manufacturer which is using the FLI23XX series chip is affected.

11. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Chris, that is exactly my understanding. It is a particular chip from Faroudja that experiences this problem. Prior Faroudja chips do not have the problem.

As I understand from reading threads here and there, the problem is not an "in your face" type of thing. There are certain scenes in certain movies, or certain types of scenes, where the problem is manifested.

Many people are very happy with the performance of players that have the problem, and others who, let's say, have a more critical eye, are very unhappy.

You could always try buying one of the players from a company with a "no questions asked" 30-day return policy, and that way if the macroblocking bothers you, you can return it and continue searching for a player.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Another suggestion for a player other than the 97s would be the Sony 975. It's very popular and some have chosen it over the 97s. It doesn't have any macroblocking issues at all. It has SACD but no Dvd-A.

List is around $300. Plenty of shootouts and comparisons on AVS between these 2.

13. JeffKC

JeffKC Extra

I'm using a Pioneer DV-356a I bought for 80 bucks open box at CC....DVD quality is very good....lots better than my Pioneer DVL-700 via S-Video....

I have my Hitachi 57S715 set for 480p default....

the 356a...offers NO DVIHDMI out....I'm using component cables..the one's which split the video spectrum three ways...

Just purchased a DVI-HDMI for the Dish Net 811 receiver....hope the picture is better...