HDMI, does it do it all?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Father John A, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

I have been in the market for a new TV for about 2 years and am coming to the conclusion that I will not have a new set for some time (money vs expectations).

I know next to nothing about HDMI, but was thinking, IF it will be some time before I get a new set, can I plan on getting one with HDMI, selling my current A/V amp and reconnecting everything with simpler HDMI cable when I do upgrade?

I sure would love to eliminate all those cables.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

In theory, HDMI carries digital audio and video signals. In reality, today, there seem to be some problems with certain components that will probably be sorted out by the time you're ready to purchase a new display. With a AVR that had HDMI I/O, you could run your TV box (cable or Sat), your DVD player, etc into the receiver over a single HDMI cable and have one cable going to the display for audio and video. Why anyone would want to use a TV's speakers for audio I don't know, but it's doable.

Mort

3. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

Keep your eyes on DVI equipped components also. I believe it's more secure than HDMI so the majority of hardware will probably be manufactured with more DVI connections than HDMI in the coming years.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Actually, DVI is on its way out for home theater applications.

Too bulky ... and the HDMI can handle a higher quality of video signal for future applications.

DVI is also an installer headache ...

Regards

5. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit