1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HDMI Connection Issue with Sony KP-57WS520

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave H, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have a one year old Sony KP-57WS520 which has an HDMI input.

I've tried several different HDMI cords and upscaling DVD players and when connected to my TV's HDMI input, the picture drops out quite frequently.

The HDMI connection piece feels slightly lose when I move it, but not really anymore than you'd expect.

Is there anything I can do to fix this matter?

Someone on another forum told me to try different cables as maybe the male connectors aren't large enough for the female connection. But, I've tried several cables. Also the cable seems to be connected pretty good if you know what I mean. It's not falling out of the socket. But, again, maybe the connectors are touching something inside my TV input.

I would like to avoid having a service person out since I don't trust what he might do (too many horror stories!).

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Interesting enough, I found this on another forum (my set was purchased in Dec '04)

Sony has issued a HDMI interface information tip in which they advise that, "Sony Digital TVs introduced in 2004 will include an HDMI digital interface that connects to digital sources such as Satellite Receivers, Digital Cable boxes and DVD players. HDMI, like DVI, is a secure digital interface with High Definition Copyright Protection, HDCP, to prevent piracy and illegal copying. The HDMI/HDCP standard is not 100% complete regarding exactly the protocols for proper device authentication. Manufacturers are left up to themselves to assure proper compatibility between all consumer electronics devices. Due to this reason, it is possible under some circumstances that video programming from certain set top boxes will lose transmission or have intermittent operation and display only snow on the Sony TV".

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I went ahead and called a servicer.....they ordered the part.....P board. Hope they are good...this should be an easy fix. This won't affect convergence or grayscale board will it?

4. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Even if they had to replace one of the boards that held adjustment data (P does not), most servicers will swap the memory (eeprom ) chips rather than go through an hours long alignment procedure; so your grayscale is safe.

My thought is that HDMI and DVI interfaces were designed by the engineers before there were actual devices available for testing. The same thing happened with dual layer DVDs. That's why so many players needed frequent firmware upgrades. We see a lot of it now on Cablecard TVs. Companies that did the early design work will need upgrades as new devices come to market.

As an additional point of interest (after seeing a comment at AVS) the HDMI input gets converted to YUV before it is processed so Component inputs (no conversion) could look better than HDMI. The only function of HDMI would be to provide the HDCP authentication for protected content, not for picture quality. An HDMI device, however, may have more capabilities for fine tuning than a Component only device.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Steve,

Is changing out the P board relatively easy to do on this set and do you think this will cure the problem? Thanks.

6. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It's not too hard to change, located right behind the rear terminal board. There is a major processor on the board which converts HDMI to component video. None of the digital boards are repairable so servicing is pure guesswork. The P board doesn't even have a block diagram or any functional description of how it works. If you don't know what it does then it's pretty hard to know if it's working correctly.

If the set works OK on other component inputs then replacing the P board is the only serviceable possibility. If that does not fix it, then it is a design problem and only a Factory Level solution will help (no bulletins yet).

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hi Steve,

Yes, the TV is working perfectly. (Remember that wave issue I had last year? The third service tech I had out agreed to change the power supply and that fixed the problem.) Component works great. I only really want this serviced as I will porbably take the Blu-ray plunge sooner or later, and I'm trying out the Oppo upconverting DVD player in the short term. So, he doesn't even have to enter the service menu, does he? It sounds like he just needs to pull the current board out and plug in the new one.
    I have the service manual and it shows the board and the several steps of taking it out.

I recently had my set ISF'd and tweaked (grayscale, focus, convergence) and I'm just a little nervous having someone out if you know what I mean. I'll definitely make sure he doesn't fool around with anything else. [​IMG]

I've been doing research and reading on other forums to see if anyone else with this model is experiencing issues....so far none.

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I had the service tech out today with the new board. Sony is really fast (usually 24 hours) for sending out parts to servicers.

The new board solved the problem. [​IMG] However, the picture is now slightly shifted downward now....something that wasn't the case before, but should easily be fixed in the service menu. I'm having my ISF tech out Friday to fine tune the input.