What's new

HDMI Colour - Full Range RGB or Component? (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I have just bought a new DVD player, it is upconverting to 1080i via a HDMI lead to my TV, however in the DVD players setting menu there is an option called "HDMI Color"... should it be set to Full Range RGB or Component? Is there a right and wrong answer? There seems to be more "color" from from Component setting, but from the sounds of things it should be set to the Full Range RGB setting...

I'm very confused here, any help at all would be great!

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Your display (digitals) uses RGB.

So you can either send it in RGB, or let the TV convert to RGB.

Like scaling, I think it's a "try it and see which is better".

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This depends on many things.

I don't know the device, but I would be reticent because the menu selection says "full range RGB" which means that perhaps they are expanding to PC range so you can hook it up to a computer monitor which may take RGB in PC levels. I don't know.

You need to ascertain whether color decoding is accurate in either/both selections, and you also need to ascertain whether one or both settings clip. You can use colorbars for the former, and full range ramps for the latter (available on DVE, Getgray, but not Avia).

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I'm no expert when it comes to calibration, but I have looked at both settings using the DVE disc and the Full Range RGB setting looks a little better to my eyes, so that's the one I'll probably go with.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
It is always a good idea to provide the make and model of the equipment you are referring to when asking for information or assistance. An setting on one device may not be the same as another, even if they have similar or even the same name. Some components have known quirks or bugs that require a different setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks