What's new

HDMI COAX SPDIF help! (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I wasn't sure if this was a video camera topic, cables topic, a PC topic, a video topic or an audio topic, so I posted in after hours...

I have a digital HD video camera with 40g hard drive and it has a HDMI audio out. I would like to view the video from it on my FPTV.. Trouble is, my projetor has HDMI input, but no audio out. The audio for my FPTV is carried over COAX spdif 30 feet to the 5.1 receiver. (and my camera does record in surround - cool) The camera does not have any other digital audio output.

What I need to do is somehow split the audio out of the HDMI and send it over the coax while continuing the video signal to the projector. (it has component, HDMI, and 15pin RGB inputs)

I've looked around but the closest I could find (for a reasonable price) was a device which stripped out the audio and put it on optical, then converted the video to DVI... close, but not close enough...

Can anyone here help?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Does your AVR have an HDMI input and output?

If so, just connect the camera HDMI output to your AVR input and the AVR output (either component or HDMI) to your projector.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If your receiver doesn't process HDMI audio like Lew suggested, this device would probably work with a readily available DVI to HDMI cable.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The problem is the receiver and the projector are 15 feet apart... I have a COAX SPDIF running under the floor between them, and I cannot install any other cables there. (2 story home, installed coax during construction)

Running a 15' video signal (more like 25' after bends and height are considered) would likely not produce optimal results, and also be messy. Since I have the coax run already, it would seem to me that I could find a switcher or some other device that would allow me to strip out the audio to send to another source...

Trouble is, the only switcher I found so far switches to optical (WTF - why use optical over coax EVER???) It also switches the video to DVI, which my projector does not take. I could then get adapters for that... but now I've got three sets of adapters for the task - I will have overspent on a messy solution.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Because ground loops are evil?

You can run HDMI over multiple RG6 cables, and over multiple Cat5 cables. The keyword here is multiple... HDMI's requires a lot of bandwidth.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Yeah, I figured worst case i could run a series of adapters, but that is a messy solution.

I'm not a fan of the limited range and delicateness of toslink. never had a ground loop problem with coax.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
ACK! $250!

My solution was to DL the movies from my camera to my iMac. I have the projector connected to it and I can use the airportexpress connection for audio.

DownLoading is slow, but I gotta do it sometime anyway... I just can't do an immediate playback.

Running HDMI would be VERY difficult since it is running in the small space between the 1st floor ceiling and 2nd floor floor. There is no access, and if there were - I'd need a skinny midget to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks