HDMI causing hair loss.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MyronN, Aug 18, 2005.

1. MyronN

MyronN Auditioning

Aug 17, 2005

I am a first time poster who sought out this forum to try and solve a problem and save my sanity and/or marriage.

I have a Mitzu DLP HDTV with one HDMI input (monlink).

I have a Scientific Atlanta HD cable box with DVR and an HDMI output.

I have a Samsung DVD player with DVI/HDMI up-convert.

I previously connected the DVD to the HDMI input on the TV and the cablebox to the TV via component input.

Feeling that drive that causes all of us to spend outrageous amounts of money on stuff we really don't need but gotta have, I wanted an all digital, all HDMI setup so I purchased the new Yamaha rx-v4600 AVR with HDMI switching.

Everything is connected with high end Monster cables.

So far, the DVD works great running through the Yamaha switch, but the cablebox produces an alert that says that the DVI/HDMI output is blocked and saying that my TV doesn't support HDCP (which it does).
    Connecting the Cable box directly to the TV works just fine on HDMI, (but defeats the purpose of the switching).
    I have spoken with the tech support crews of all three elements and they all swear that their respective baby is fine and its the others who won't play nice.

Cox Cable blames Mitzu saying that something needs to be corrected on the TV. Mitzu blames Yamaha saying that something is wrong with the HDMI switch, and of course, Yamaha blames the cable box as being too stupid to understand a "device relay".
    So far nobody has a solution.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    It sounds like the AVR does not really properly support HDCP and/or just sort of incompatible with that cable box.

You of course understand you are now pushing the envelope as very few people have switched DVI/HDMI since HDCP has came into being.