hdmi cables and questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by GarethB, Aug 25, 2006.

1. GarethB

GarethB Auditioning

Hello. I am just beginning to start into home theatre.(I was a caraudio fanatic, but now i've extended to home theatre). I just picked up a Sharp_LC_37D90U. My question was, how important is the quality of the HDMI and HD cables? Some people I talked to say that it doesn't really matter when it comes to comparing one that has a cheaper vs more expensive(such as monster). Is this true or is something like the Monster cable really worth it? Since the tv supports 1080p, I'd really like to use it. Do i need to buy specific cables that will support 1080p or do all of them support that? Suggestions?

I'm quite positive too that I'll need to replace my dvd player to something that also supports hdmi and 1080p, any suggestions for that too? I don't want it to be too pricey, but i'm not looking to cheap out either. Thanks in advance

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Gareth - a $15 no-name brand HDMI cable will perform equally to a $150 Monster HDMI cable over a short cable length (under 15 feet). I'd suggest purchasing a $15-$20 HDMI cable, and returning it only if you see any "sparklies"

As for DVD players that can upconvert to 1080p over HDMI, I would suggest the Denon DVD-1930CI, available in September for under $300:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...930CI1080p.php

3. GarethB

GarethB Auditioning

Hi Alon, thanks a lot for the quick reply and advice. Saves a lot of money haha

4. GarethB

GarethB Auditioning

sorry for the double post on that one. however, would you by chance know if having Cable TV and a Tivo or DVR service would require two HDMI slots on the TV or would the Cable box connect to the DVR and the DVR to the hdmi slot on the tv?