What's new

HDMI and/or DVI on upcoming receivers? (1 Viewer)

CorySeaman

Auditioning
OK, it's now 2004, and manufacturers have been putting DVI connections on consumer electronics devices for a year or two. A DirecTV/TiVo unit will be released next month with an HDMI connection which surpasses the security and bandwidth of even the few-year-old DVI standard, and my question is naturally...where are the DVI and HDMI switching capabilities on today's receivers, much less tomorrow's?

Why are so many companies like Onkyo pushing doggedly ahead to turn receivers into media centers by adding features like Ethernet connectivity in order to play streaming media, all the while ignoring these emerging connectivity standards?

HDMI can pipe 8-channel audio and HD-video signals (even up to 1080p!), fulfilling the age-old prophecy of one-cable A/V connectivity between components, and yet I can't find even a speculative press release regarding an upcoming receiver model that incorporates it.

Are manufacturers still so squeamish about the standards struggle over Firewire vs. DVI that they aren't willing to make the leap now that the dust is settling? While I'm ranting :), why can't I find a mid-level receiver with more than 2 component inputs? I consider myself a mid-level technophile with a new HDTV, and to feed it I have a prog. scan DVD player, HD-capable satellite receiver, and an Xbox w/ High-Def output...soon I'll add a media-center PC to that mix (via DVI). This isn't my dream system for 2006, it's in my living room, and no receiver on the market can handle the setup. Is that so much to ask?

DanMarquardt

Agent
john s: you are confused.... the 4802 has three HDTV (component based) inputs NOT three HDMI

cory: I'd wait till HDMI v2 is out (late this spring) so you can get dvd-a, sacd audio on the same cable. HDMI v1 can't handle the high resolution audio...

the big onkyo receiver looks nice though. card based with plenty of inputs.

John S

Senior HTF Member
No, I am not confused, I should have been more clear though. The last line of his posts talks about most receivers only having two component inputs.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
In a way, you are :) He was talking about a mid-level receiver, I don't think 4802 is quite that, being only one step down from the top of the Denon line and with price tag of $2000.

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
So far only displays and source devices support HDMI, unless a new HDMI enabled product not in those categories was released at CES and I missed it. What's the point if none of the HDMI group members aren't going to produce a receiver that accepts the signal? Is anyone who would used HDMI really going to plug their DVD player directly into their TV via HDMI? What's going to process sound that way?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dmitry,

Point way conceeded, my pocket book hurt for a long time, for that distinction... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks