What's new

hdmi and optical / coax audio question (1 Viewer)

DuncanH

Auditioning
hi
first post and i need someone's expertise
i am getting my new sony hdtv set up tomorrow and want to make sure i have the optimal sound using my system .so here's my question:

i just bought a Sony dvd player with hdmi to connect to hdmi video on new TV
but i use a Sony 7.1 receiver for my sound system so will only use hdmi for video. which should i use to connect the audio to the receiver -
optical or digital coax?

sony TV = 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ Rear Projection HDTV KDS-R50XBR1
sony DVD player = DVP-NS90V
sony receiver = STR -DE698

thanks in advance :D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Practically speaking, it really shouldn't matter because you are transmitting digital signals. Usually it becomes a question of which type of jack is available at each end. If both are (as I assume is the case here) then it doesn't matter. Coax cable is generally less expensive than optical cable and less susceptible to breaking if strained.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Duncan there is not ant "true" difference in the optical and the coax just different ways to get the digital signal where it is supposed to go. If you have a digital coax cable use that...if you have an optical use that. I have no experience with the optical....but have read here and other places that some of the cheaper optical cables don't perform as well from a connection standpoint they "pop" out of the receptacle and such can be somewhat unreliable........anybody with that experience feel free to chime in on that one. RCA digital coax will suit you fine and is pretty much bullet proof. IMO

just my .02

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Robert no fair you beat me.......next time slow that typing frenzy down;) :D :D

DuncanH

Auditioning
cool thanks - one other thing i forgot to ask
will the sound come through the coax AND hdmi
ex.
hdmi to TV
+ coax to reciever
=sound out of both at same time?

thx
D

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
HDMI is an all for one thing video and audio. If you want to run audio to your receiver then you must connect either the dvd player to the receiver or if your TV has a digital out run that to the receiver for sound. You may need to "fiddle" with the setting to get a setup that works the best for your application.

If I were you I'd run the HDMI from your DVD player to the TV then the audio to the receiver. In certain situations there has been problems between the video adn audio sync. Typically the audio portion of the signal is easier to decode than the video portion of the signal causing some audio/video lag. Set it up both ways and see what works for you. If your receiver has an audio delay program that can improve or eliminate the audio sync problems. Try try try and if you don't succeed try er again!;)

Also check the menu options of your DVD player. You may need to tell it what output you want the audio on.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
will the sound come through the coax AND hdmi

I believe it will. Your DVD player should allow you to turn off the audio going to the HDMI in the setup menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks