HDMI and inputs question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by luyen, Jan 15, 2006.

1. luyen

luyen Auditioning

Sorry for this newbie question, but your help is greatly appreciated. I'm researching a 42" plasma. Currently, I'm considering units from Panasonic, Fujitsu and Pioneer. All seem to have their fans and I haven't been able to see them side by side. But a big issue for me is then number and type of inputs -- I have a number of devices I want to route to the TV: PC, DV cam, game console -- in addition to DVD, VCR. My inclination is to have as many digital ins as possible since I would like to go digital from the HD cable box and from the DVD unit.

Pioneer seems to have the most HDMI/DVI options, but I'm confused about the "HDMI with HDCP" thing. I know that HDCP is a copy protection protocol, but does this qualification mean I may have compatibility problems with non HDCP equipment? Or is pretty much everything HDCP compliant these days? And what if I want to go DVI to HDMI? For instance, I have a DVI connection from my Powerbook, and was figuring that's how I would go Mac to TV; but will I run into problems with the HDCP requirement?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated, along with any other thoughts you have about the relative merits of these plasmas!

Many thanks,

L

2. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

As I understand the issues with HDCP, you're unlikely to have a problem. AFAIK anything you might buy at this point that has an HDMI output will also support HDCP. Occasionally, I've seen reports of people having trouble with some combinations but it seems uncommon and getting more so. Going DVI to HDMI is shouldn't be a problem, adapter cables exist just for that and HDCP doesn't get involved.

3. luyen

luyen Auditioning

Thanks. Your clarification that DVI to HDMI does not involve HDCP is really helpful. I was brainlocking around that issue -- didn't quite understand how that might work!