HDMI and DVI connections

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Stan Welks, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Stan Welks

Stan Welks Stunt Coordinator

Sep 14, 2004
    I currently have an LCD tv and am looking to purchase a better one soon. I am trying to understand the benefits of HDMI and DVI in relation to the tvs.

1.Can these cables only be used with tvs that have these ports?

2.what kinds of peripherals do HDMI and DVI interact with (DVD players, satellites, etc.)?

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

Jun 17, 2006
    1. Yes. In order to use DVI/HDMI connections, your TV needs to have one of these ports.

2. DVD players, cable/satellite receivers, computers, and a growing number of AV receivers and processors are equipped with DVI, HDMI, or even both.

To answer the original question...

HDMI and DVI are digital connections as opposed to analog. HDMI is essentially a DVI-D signal combined with an audio signal that will support up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio. The whole idea behind this format is that digital video is "better" (in theory), it simplifies connections (HDMI), and they since the signal is digital, they can throw copyright protection (such as HDCP) to protect content and at the same time make sure that everyone is replacing their perfectly good HDTVs with a new one with these inputs so they can enjoy their new Blu-Ray discs in all their HD glory. Big brother is watching...

Now the problem with HDMI is that developers can never seem to decide on a version and stick with it. We currently have HDMI 1.0/1.1 (older HDMI devices), HDMI 1.2, and soon, HDMI 1.3. You can't really "upgrade" versions through software per say, meaning that a mix of HDMI devices with differing versions may not play nice with each other. When two HDMI devices connect together, they must conduct a digital "handshake" before any data is passed. Versions are supposed to be backward compatible with each other, but it doesn't always work in practice. Sometimes, certain manufactures just plain don't implement HDMI properly into their components.

But apparently, it's the wave of the future...or something. I would have been just as happy with analog component video, which does work fine, even for HD.