HDMI 1080i upgradable to 1080p?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CarlTond, Oct 22, 2005.

1. CarlTond

CarlTond Auditioning

I'm looking at buying one of the net 1080p sets, either with the TI DLP engine of the Sony LCOS. All of them only have 1080i HDMI inputs. It's my understanding that when ever an BluRay or HD-DVD comes out, they will use progressive outs on HDMI. Is this correct? If so, will the TV's inputs be upgradable to accept the new native outputs?

Thanks

Carlton

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

They should be but the main problem right now is some sets don't accept 1080P via HDMI. There are some long threads at AVSforum regarding every set. Do your research on those there first before plunking down the cash. It will save you a headache in the future.

FWIW, the Sony XRD sets are better IMHO than the TI DLP's I've seen.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Don't count on it unless the manufacturer promises it.

To accept 1080p HDMI input where such input was not previously accepted, the TV must have a new video processor (probably jut a chip or two) installed.

Otherwise you have to live with the 1080i de-interlacing provided by the TV.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Unfortunately Shane and Allan has hit the nail on the head. The only time you or me or anyone who have current HDTVs is when we completely update our monitors to the new incoming sets with 1080P capability through HDMI.