What's new

HDMI 1.3 pre-pro? (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
CharlesJP -

I don't think there's anything offensive or inappropriate in your comments...

There's been a lot of excitement about the DTC-9.8 because it actually lists for less than a comparable receiver (the Integra DTR-7.8 or the Onkyo 905, which I think is about $2,400 MSRP vs. $1,600 MSRP for the DTC-9.8).

It's never made sense to me that a lot of pre-pros cost significantly more than receivers. It should cost less to build an identical unit but remove the built-in 7.1 power amps. At the same price point, it should be possible to build a pre-pro with higher parts/sound quality than a receiver with otherwise identical features.

That said, many people have been buying receivers and using them as pre-pros. I went with the DTC-9.8 because it just bugs me to pay for built-in amps that I'm not using... :)

ErickS -

Agreed about the junk and off-topic clutter in the AVS thread. About one in five posts is about the Integra pre-pro! I'll post my impressions here when I get mine, but that's at least 2-4 weeks away. :frowning:

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I agree, absolutely. Frankly neither is in my budget. I'm interested in the ~$800 TX-SR705. I'm thrilled that someone is releasing a pre/pro with sensible pricing though, for people with a bigger budget than myself.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
(Mostly) marketing, IMO. "It does one thing, so it must be better." Though I've read over the years that many preamps DO have better parts in them than their receiver equivalents.

Also, receivers sell in much greater quantities than prepros i.e. the economy of scale thing, so preamps cannot be priced as low.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Colin- If you do get the 9.8, it looks like you're going to use an Oppo 980H with it? Let us know how that goes. I am really close to pulling the trigger on the Oppo, but I'm still debating waiting for the NAD HDMI 1.3 pre/pro before I decide what to do there.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Still don't have my Integra 9.8 (these things are in incredibly short supply), but I just got word today that my pre-pro has shipped. I should have it within a week. Stay tuned for updates. I'm stoked about using this pre-pro with the Oppo to get multi-channel SACD with a completely digital signal path.

Once I get it, I'll post a detailed report on the sound quality and set-up. So far, all comments at AVS about sound quality have been good - but I'll be tough to please, because my HT is ruthlessly revealing (Maggies will do that for you)...

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I saw that Rotel has a new one - the model 1069 I believe. The press release said it was $2.2k list from memory.

ericks

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erick
Does anyone have a good authorized source that I can order the Integra 9.8 (or Onkyo PR-SC885) from?

Michael Lankton

Auditioning
The new Rotel doesn't appear to do decoding of TrueHD or DTS-HD, so you'd be limited to using LPCM over HDMI, not that that is a huge drawback, but it's sort of 2006 as far as a new pre/pro goes.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

You could be right, I just dug out the full press release.

"ROTEL DEBUTS NEW SURROUND PROCESSOR/PREAMP

North Reading, MA—September 5, 2007—International audio-video manufacturer Rotel Electronics, has been known worldwide for more than four decades for their unique high-end audio and home theater components. The latest example to be unveiled at the 2007 CEDIA Show in Denver, Colorado, is the new RSP-1069 surround processor-preamplifier equipped with the latest generation of digital signal processing and reference-grade audio and video components. The RSP-1069 is the ideal centerpiece for a sophisticated system for state-of-the-art audiophile music reproduction and superb home theater impact.

“Rotel’s commitment to delivering reference performance at rational prices is as strong as ever,” says Rotel America’s V.P. & General Manager, Mike Bartlett, “And the new RSP-1069 is as powerful an example as we have ever offered. Its straightforward design, uncomplicated user interface, and handsome industrial design complement world-class performance on both audio and video planes, a fact that serious music lovers and home-theater fans are sure to appreciate.”

With its simple, uncluttered front panel testifying to an easy user interface, the RSP-1069 is at home atop the most advanced system-stacks, whether concealed in a custom-built equipment closet or in a place of pride atop a rack or cabinet. Technologically, what’s inside the RSP-1069 makes it ideally suited to deliver all of the performance even the most demanding multichannel installation demands.

The RSP-1069 features the Aureus™ audio-DSP engine from Texas Instruments, one of the most powerful and sophisticated on the market. This gives the RSP-1069 a superb foundation for its state-of-the-art multichannel audio palette, which includes the full menu of Dolby Digital/EX, Pro Logic II/x, and DTS/ES-Discrete and Neo:6 modes. This sophisticated start is leveraged fully by the RSP-1069’s use of 24-bit/192 kHz digital-to-analog converters (from industry leader Burr Brown) on all channels, as well as Rotel’s strict adherence to its “Balanced Design Concept,” which lavishes equal care on component-selection and circuit design of each critical section, including digital, video, analog-audio, and power-supply designs.

On the video side, Rotel has selected the proven, impeccable-performing Faroudja DCDi™ video processor to provide upscaling of incoming video sources (analog or digital) up to 1080p (or 1080i or 720p, if preferred), with impressive freedom from artifacts and unsurpassed preservation of original video quality. With no less than four HDMI inputs and three HD/1080i-capable component paths on tap, the Rotel design offers plenty of input/output flexibility for even elaborate home theater installations.

Just as important to many customers, the RSP-1069 provides ample automation options. Three independently assignable 12-volt triggers, and fully duplex (“two-way”) RS-232 serial-port control enable integration with controllers such as Rotel’s RKP range of in-wall keypad controllers, or with custom touchscreen or other media-control systems. What’s more, the Rotel’s three additional zones of stereo audio-plus-video, each with individual source-selection and volume control, allow the RSP-1069 to serve as the command center of a flexible multiroom system, to which Rotel’s new line of ultra-compact, high-power Class D multichannel amplifiers present the perfect complement.

The Rotel RSP-1069 Surround Processor/Preamplifier is meticulously assembled and available in Black Matte or black and Silver cabinets.

Availability: Third Quarter 2007
Suggested Retail Price: $2,199.00

About Rotel Electronics
Rotel audio products are known worldwide for their quality, reliability, value, and, above all, exceptional sound reproduction. Since 1961, Rotel has utilized the resources of its formidable international design team and has manufactured its products in its own sophisticated production facilities. Rotel proudly offers a complete range of electronics that have consistently received critical acclaim and coveted industry awards. With substantial investment in new technologies and manufacturing, Rotel is prepared to meet the challenges of an evolving specialty electronics marketplace.
"

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't seem to have room EQ either. Does have the TI Aureus DSP engine just like the Integra and NAD pre/pros.

I bet they don't sell too many of these. I view room EQ as a required item these days. Maybe they'll offer another higher priced one with that later on.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I got my DTC-9.8 today and dropped it into my system.

Associated equipment:
DVD player: Oppo 980H (original firmware), connected with the stock HDMI cable provided by Oppo
Power amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand (5x200W)
Speakers: Magnepan 3.3R (front), MGCC1 (center), MG1.6QR (rear)
Projector: Optoma HD70 (firmware C.0.4), connected with a 25ft. Monoprice HDMI cable

Initial impressions:

Sound quality is pretty good, but just a hair short of the sound quality of the Theta CasaNova processor I had before. The sound seems more detailed and better defined. Issues with sub delay cleaned up markedly. However, the midrange isn't quite as smooth and lifelike as on the Theta. The overall tonal balance is slightly brighter. This difference is most pronounced when listening to CDs; high-definition audio formats (SACD, DVD-A) are better. Perhaps the analog electronics or low-pass filtering for 44.1/16 isn't as good as what's implemented on the Theta?

HDMI has been very finicky. There were problems with the HDMI handshake not completing ("HDMI" flashing on the Integra DTC-9.8 display indefinitely). After about an hour of playing with DVD player HDMI audio settings and the Integra's HDMI settings, I kept having the problem until I powered everything down, disconnected the projector, and then powered everything back up (projector still disconnected). Then I put the projector back in the mix and things still seemed to work. At this point, I'm not sure if the HDMI handshake problems will return.

The settings that ultimately worked:
Oppo 980H: Set HDMI audio output to "Auto," and "Raw" bitstream instead of LPCM
Integra DTC-9.8: Enable HDMI monitor out jacks, disable HDMI audio on monitor output, set Reon configuration to pass-through mode, disable "immediate" OSD

The HDMI handshake problem was intractable when I tried to set the Reon to 720p or 1080p. Things seemed to improve when I went to pass-through mode. I didn't enable xvYCC color or any other non-default HDMI settings.

I also experienced an intermittent problem with audio distortion when playing an HDCD-encoded CD. This problem didn't happen with a regular non-HDCD-encoded CD or any high-resolution audio formats (DVD-A, SACD). Again, a complete power-down of the Oppo 980H and Integra DTC-9.8 seemed to clear things up. I'm not sure if the bug lies in the Oppo or the Integra.

There is a new beta firmware out for the Oppo, and I read a newer firmware exists for my projector. Unfortunately, I would have to send the projector in for service to get the firmware update (it isn't user-upgradeable). Once the beta firmware for the Oppo goes "gold," I will upgrade it to see if that makes a difference with some of these HDMI / audio glitches. (Oppo's site makes no mention of fixing audio distortion or HDMI handshake problems in their firmware update.)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Colin- Are you passing DSD or PCM between then 980H and 9.8 for SACD? Wasn't clear. And are you using Audyssey? Thoughts? :)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Kevin -

I am passing a native DSD bitstream from the Oppo 980H to the Integra DTC-9.8.

As for Audyssey, I couldn't use it. It doesn't like my center speaker and just says "retry." I tried running the process a few times but couldn't get past the center speaker. My center (Magnepan MGCC1) is a bandwidth-limited speaker (160Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB), so I suspect Audyssey didn't know what to do about the serious lack of bass in this speaker, and mistakenly thought the speaker didn't exist.

So I grabbed a tape measure and make speaker distance measurements manually. I am not doing any sort of EQ just yet.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
NAD and B&K who both offered up a new pre pro at Cedia won't do those either.

The only one noteworthy is the Integra.

I wonder if the 9.8 will display video to 2 different HDMI sources at the same time. It has 2 outs. I've heard the 905 won't do it so I'm hesitant to think the 9.8 will since it's based on the 905.

terence

Supporting Actor

Shane,

The 9.8 will not ouput video to two different displays at once, i wish it could but its no biggie. I just switch between the "Main" & "Sub" ouputs to take care of that.

Leo

Second Unit
I'm in queue to test out the NAD T175 once it hits early October at my local audio shop. I don't currently have a HDMI compliant display, so I want to test to see if the NAD can put component out and use HDMI as an audio only. Too bad my PS3 didn't have regular analog 5.1 out.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Leo- Let us know. :) Probably a bunch of people like me out there who want to see reports (and comparisons) of both the Integra and NAD before we jump.

ericks

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erick
I have a 9.8 on order, but it most likely won't be in until mid October or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks