What's new

hddvd, how to kill the goose (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
Hi, help me with some reasons here. I'm starting a list of reasons on how to kill the goose that laid the golden dvd egg. In other words, ways the studios could wreck a promising new format.

1. Price HDDVDs more than the current DVDs just because they say HD on them.
2. Take 2 or 3 or 4 more years to pick a format
3. Let two formats fight it out in the marketplace so I have to buy two more machines.
4. Make the new format incompatible with my current DVDs and CDs because I have lots of room on my entertainment center for a new box to plug in.
5.????

Any More?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Release unremastered content on it, getting people to believe, and relate to their curious friends, that there isn't much value in upgrading as the quality appears equivalent.

Releasing only super-popular titles that people already own, forcing only the "I don't mind double dipping" crowd to be the only buyers.

Not releasing day and date with their DVD versions on upcoming releases.

Not working with audio hardware vendors to get the more advanced audio options supported in the marketplace before the release of HD-DVD. It is going to tout better audio without anyone being able to take advantage of it.

But the primary way is pricing it out of 'own instead of rent' range. That would relegate it to niche territory right there (LD land I would say, with no offense intended).

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

Actually, Alex, all three of these things plagued the early days of DVD. It seemed to take off just fine ;)

That aside, you do make good points and I am pessimistic about the mainstream appeal of HD-DVD, even after HDTV's gain market saturation (that in itself is MANY years away, sadly). For most people, DVD will look fine on nearly any sized HD set they'll try it on. HD, I fear, will be relegated to the niche of LD. Certain HT elitists may find satisfaction in that, but it will hurt the format as a whole.

KylePete

Stunt Coordinator
Make no mistake about it, though.....Hollywood wants to start producing a product that has better encryption, etc. to prevent illegal copying.

I really don't think HD-DVD is going to be a niche market.

Back to the topic....I second the quality issue. If it's not considerably better than DVD, HD-DVD will probably tank.

Kyle

Robert Saccone

Premium
Preventing the early adopters of HD-TVs from watching in high resolution over the analog component inputs of their HD-TVs.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think that's more of a fear than an issue.

Any new format is going to be on the expensive side when it first comes out (i.e. DVD), but in due time, the numbers came down once people started jumping on the DVD bandwagon.

So I can't say that the price dictates popularity, it seems to be the other way around.

The biggest hurdle is going to get the recent DVD adopters to adopt a new format so quickly. I mean, I still know people with casette (only) radios in their cars, I know people who still use their VCR's, etc. It took them quite a few years to finally break down and buy a DVD player. I'd say they aren't in any rush to want to:
a) buy a new player within the next 5-10 years.
b) buy a new tv to use that new player with.
c) do A & B above just for the improved resolution that they won't really notice.

Face it, HD-DVD is going to be a niche market for quite some time.

RudolphT

Agent
Picking a red laser format & over compressed CODEC will kill it as fast as (the old) DiVX.

It will have a price premium as economies of scale are built, but there needs to be a quality premium.

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Jack - IMO the first 3 arguments you posted I'm positive will actually happen.

I agree with Mark, HD-DVD is not going mainstream anytime soon. Very, very few people have HDTVs to even watch the disc. HD players are not going to be cheap when released. The movies themselves will be expensive! One of the reasons I think DVD caught on is J6P could walk in to Wal-Mart and buy a movie for $5. You think that will happen with HD-DVD at any point in the near future?!?

Unfortunately, I see the first few years of HD-DVD being similar to D-VHS - maybe a couple decent releases that are priced a good bit higher than current DVDs. But with such a small market out there (those ready to watch HD now), why would the studios jump on the HD bandwagon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks