What's new

HDCP-DVI? Is it bad??? (1 Viewer)

Will-Layfield

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have been searching through some past topics and people are mentioning HDCP along with DVI as something that is coming as a form of copyright protection. Would someone please explain it to me because I have never heard of it before. What is so bad about it if it really is bad? Thanks in advance....I hope I am not beating a dead horse :frowning: .

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, it is basically how you look at it. HDCP is a copy protection scheme that prevents the copying of "protected" content, i.e., DVDs when the digital DVI connection is used between your DVI capable TV and your DVI capable DVD player or other video device. The DVI to DVI pure digital signal is encrypted at the source (DVD player) and decrypted by the TV to show the picture. Is it bad? Well, as one who abhorrs any type of copyright violation I don't see it as bad at all. We had all better get used to it, because it is probably here to stay. :)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Display has DVI w/HDCP compliant input: Good

Source has DVI w/HDCP compliant output: Bad if TV's DVI input is non-HDCP compliant, works ok if it is compliant

Source has DVI w/o HDCP compliant output: Good

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks