What's new

HDCP: Does it go both ways? (1 Viewer)

Kelly N

Agent
I know that if you have a display with a DVI input with HDCP that your source must also incorporate HDCP. What I need to know is if I have a source that incorporates HDCP like the LG LST-3510A does my display HAVE to incorporate HDCP or does it just make the tuner/DVD player compatible with more displays? I want to mate it with an Infocus LP350 and I can't find any mention of HDCP on the company's website.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
As I understand it, if the display has HDCP then the source feeding it CAN have it or not and it still should work. If a material source, such as a DVD (usually the up conversion type)player or HD receiver box has HDCP and your display does not, you're SOL. (I think :) )

Mort

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
That's correct Mort. The display must have HDCP to work with an HDCP source. A display with HDCP will still work with a source that lacks HDCP.

HDCP isn't just a copy protection, it's an encoding format that requires the display to decode the signal. It's more like compression than copy protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks