What's new

HDCP Authentication Curiosity Question (1 Viewer)

Nancyboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Nancy
I recorded a movie (Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, etc.) on my TiVo unit (Humax DRT800) from a regular television station (Channel 4, KOMO I believe). When I began watching it on a Mitsubishi TV (WD-62927) thru an HDMI connection which goes through my A/V receiver (Denon AVR-4306), the picture was good, the backgrund sound worked well through the surround sound speakers, but the voices didn't have sound at all. Shortly into the playing, a blue screen came up with the message "HDCP Authentication Failed. Please use the YPbPr outputs for your HD connection." I have found some articles on the internet that appear to explain my problem as the fact that my TiVo which was acting as the initial "receiver" from my HD cable box is on the HDCP "blacklist", and/or that the transmitter did not find a special HDCP register in the TiVo receiver and did not have a low quality (480p or lower) version to send. My question is, am I correct in that it won't work or is there just a little "glitch" that I can overcome to get the voices? In other words, when the HDCP is not authenticated, does it send some of the signals (background sound) but not others (voices) or is this unusual? I don't know if I posted this in the right place or explained it very well, but any input would be appreciated so I can understand better what's happened. Thanks. Nancy

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've had that voice thing happen with my DVR (a Sony model), although without the "authentication failure" message. Turning off the whole chain (DVR-receiver-TV), waiting thirty seconds, and then turning them back on usually solves the problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDDASD
Recent bookmarks