HDCP and HDDVD/Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wayde_R, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

My question is really about display devices and not HTPC or A/V sources such as HD DVD or Blu-Ray.

Will existing TVs with so called "HDCP" inputs, IE DVI or HDMI inputs, actually work with HD DVD and Blu-Ray when it comes out?

The answer would seem yes, of course. But the reason I ask is because of the buzz that's been swirling around about HDCP and AACS.

The conditions under which both next gen optical storage will be licensed is still unclear. AACS still hasn't completely closed on exactly how the coming "end-to-end" encryption scheme will work.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060214-6177.html

This article says a lot about it and rasied my questions. They say video cards that currently claim to be HDCP compliant really aren't. But I guess I'm missing something. They also seem to say that existing HDTV owners will likely miss out on HD content from HD DVD + Blu-Ray and you'll have to buy a brand new TV. Or do they mean you'll have to buy a new computer monitor ?

I understand that people with only component inputs are going to be screwed over by the new optical storage methods. TheAACS has already said that they'll downrez to component inputs on HDTVs.

I am a little confused about HDCP itself. This report on Gizmodo seems to say that HDCP is not a completed standard either. So does that mean that HDCP could suddenly change and turn existing HDCP connections obsolete?

I know this whole encryption/protection things is a real mess. If this turns into a conversation maybe it should go into the HDCP forum after all. But the basic question I have is ... are these TVs being sold today with "hdcp" inputs going to enjoy the next round of high def sources material or not?

2. Wayde_R

Where are the video gurus?

Either...

Nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Nobody is concerned with the ability to display HDCP encrypted content in the next gen optical storage devices.

There is already a comprehensive conversation on this topic.

Please inform

There has to be some people here riled up about the AACS.

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You could start with this thread.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=251642
    But in general you should be looking in the HT-Software-High Definition forum. Many threads end up discussing DRM restrictions of various types. There are extensive discusions over at AVS also.

4. Wayde_R

Thanks Steve, this is great. Just the kind of dialogue I was looking for. I like the fireing squad articles too.