Hdcd???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewW, Nov 21, 2001.

1. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering exactly what this is. My Toshiba DVD player boasts this feature, yet my Yamaha CD player does not. According to Toshiba, there's all these new cd's that are HDCD, yet none of my new, or any of my cd's for that matter claim to be HDCD. So if DVD player 'a' has HDCD and player 'b' doesn't, does one opt for player a?? Thanks.

2. David Albrecht

David Albrecht Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering about this HDCD issue myself last week, after noticing this on some older Natalie Merchant Cds.
    Here is a web site that should answer some of your questions...
    http://www.hdcd.com/
    I think they have of list of some of the current HDCD's out and about, under the Music Catolog Tab.

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

You probably already own some HDCD and you don't even know it. I found that some of the CDs in my collection had nothing at all on the packaging or disc that mentioned HDCD and the only way I found out was to check hdcd.com.

Gregory

4. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Be sure that you're listening to the analog output of your HDCDs to receive the benefits of the HDCD encoding. I was listening to HDCDs through the digital output for months and wasn't at all impressed with the "added" sound. One day, after looking a little more carefully at the audio output chart in my Toshiba manual, I saw that the full output of HDCDs was passed through the analog stereo output, not the digital. Color me red-faced. I have to say that I never saw a dramatic difference in HDCD-encoded recordings, though to be fair many of the HDCDs were first-time listens and so I had nothing to compare them to.

I think the folks behind HDCD (which is now a part of Microsoft, I believe) have consistently dropped the ball. The logo indicating the presence of HDCD encoding is rarely emphasized on CD packaging. I'd be willing to bet it's virtually unknown among consumers, and there's no incentive or excitement connected with it at all. I recently upgraded my DVD player and I had to decide if I wanted to shell out the extra bucks to get the Toshiba 5700 with HDCD decoding. I opted for the 4700, which doesn't offer HDCD, and I'm much happier with the DVD-Audio capabilities it provides.

5. YANG

YANG Second Unit

HIGH DEFINITION COMPATIBLE DIGITAL...a name that is getting more and more extinct in the market.Once a audiophile attraction,now belongs to pop favorites in asia.

With a better hardware,orchestral musics,either classical or movie soundtracks will sound more detail and wider than any other regular releases.

If you can find SARAH McCLAHLAN's ANGEL in both regular album release without HDCD and the original soundtrack od CITY OF ANGELS with HDCD...You will love the soundtrack more.

Other movie soundtracks with HDCD are...

RCA VICTOR-ALIEN RESSURECTION

RCA VICTOR-INDEPENDENCE DAY

RCA VICTOR-THIN RED LINE

WARNER-CONTACT

WARNER-CITY OF ANGELS

WARNER-X-FILES FIGHT THE FUTURE

MCA-AMERICAN PRESIDENT

...and others more...

If i am not wrong,there are some other soundtracks released by SONY CLASSICAL also comes with HDCD.