What's new

HDCD questions???? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
OK, let me first say I know it is no match to DVD-A or SACD! But I have a few questions I have concerning HDCD. I noticed from the HDCD site that the only disc I have that is HDCD is Sara Evens "Born to Fly". So, I wired my Toshiba DVD player up L/R RCA's to my second CD input to my Pioneer VSXd709s receiver. Placed in the CD and the HDCD indicator lit up and I sat and compared the analog CD input to the Digital DVD input and found that I liked the Digital DVD input better and that as far as I know would not be 20bit HDCD. Is this correct?

The HDCD seemed a little lifeless!

Would another HD disc be better?

Also, I was wondering if a HD disc was burned onto CD/R would it remain HD?

Wes

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wes, your Pioneer receiver does not have an HDCD decoding chip, so it ignores the HDCD information and treats your disc like any other CD. The reason you may like the sound better using the digital outputs is that the receiver may have a better DAC than your DVD player. Furthermore, the DVD player probably has a poor analog output stage, though you didn't mention which Toshiba model you have.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
"Wes, your Pioneer receiver does not have an HDCD decoding chip, so it ignores the HDCD information and treats your disc like any other CD."

But Wes said he was using the analog outs from his HDCD-capable DVD player, so he is indeed hearing the HDCD decoding properly when he selects his CD input on his receiver. The receiver does not need to have HDCD capability as long as your DVD player does and you listen via the analog outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks