HDCD question (cables related)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Adlhoch, May 9, 2002.

1. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

When I upgrade to a progressive scan dvd player, one of the minor considerations i have is that the unit be able to decode HDCD. My receiver (Yamaha RX-V3000 doesnt have this capibility).

My question is this: I am assuming that since my PLAYER is doing the HDCD decoding, I will have to use the analogue 2 channel output to my receiver rather than my digital connection. I would be using good quality cables (Monster most likely)

Currently, I can dicern a difference between the analogue and digital outputs from my current player (regular old H/K DVD 5). Would any gains of 20-bit HDCD over 16-bit regular CD's be washed away because of the inherent inferiority of the analogue output compared to the digital?

I know I will be getting a MUCH nicer unit than the one I currently have, so maybe their analogue outs won't suffer in the same way my current unit does.

Any answers or suggestions would be greatly apprecated

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

3. Bill Adlhoch

my yamaha has a "processor direct" function i can engage, I think this is what you mean by pass thru

it doesnt look like the new generation of dvd-changers with progressive scan have HDCD (yamaha, and panasonic for instance)

anyone know for sure?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, I believe you are correct regarding the lack of HDCD capability with the Yamaha and Panasonic changers. However, the Denon DVM-4800 DVD-Audio changer does HDCD, though it is $1200.

5. Bill Adlhoch

yep, keith you are correct, but if i can get a player that has everything except HDCD and it costs 350, i would have a hard time justifying paying 800 dollars more JUST for HDCD decoding.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill, I agree that HDCD hardly is worth $800 extra, however, the $1200 Denon DVM-4800 should be a noticeably better audio component in all modes than a $350 DVD-Audio player. Just something to consider.

7. ferrell

ferrell Auditioning

The Denon 2800 DVD Player has both pure progressive scan and HDCD Decoding and these are fantastic video/audio players and you can pick one up for around $450. They sold for $799 when they first came out.

8. Bill Adlhoch

ferrell, that sound like a great deal...but at the top of my want list is that the player have 5 disc carosel

2800 is a single disc machine

I know I know, I am being demanding, but id rather wait 6 months and get it right than to get what I want partially and regret it later.

This next deck needs to last me for many many years

9. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    If your receiver or pre/pro has HDCD decoding, is it necessary to have a DVD or CD player with HDCD decoding, or will anything with a digital output do?

10. Bill Adlhoch

steven, if your RECEIVER has the decoding, then you just send the digital out from ANY player (doesnt have to have decoding) to your receiver

11. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Ferrell: