What's new

HD-(X)A1 Firmware Update now available on Toshiba website. Now version 2.4!!! (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea thats why Im asking. I didnt do 2.1 and have been very happy with my player.Not a single freeze, hiccup or anything. Its just that DVI darkness issue I usually fix by upping the brightness a bit.

I decided just today I put it off long enough and ordered the RAM electronics HD selector(only $45)
So if it doesnt fix the DVI I dont want to chance it and will just go component.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ken,
If your patient, Ill send you mine.

Im waiting on some answers, but dont think Im gonna chance the 2.2.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I uploaded the 2.2. I had a real scare at first...the player was slower than ever, and had an HDMI error message and wouldn't play any discs. In a panic, I uploaded the firmware again, and then unplugged the machine for 15 minutes. After doing this, my player works fine(I played parts of DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS and BATMAN BEGINS, and JURASSIC PARK 3 for SD DVD). In fact, the picture looks a little sharper than before, with better black levels, and the load time is a tad faster. Still, I would caution anyone before they use this new firmware. If your player ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw your first post at AVS when you thought youd killed your playerand firmly decided not to do mine.

Glad it worked out for you - now Im undecided again.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i skipped 2.1 right to 2.2.
only difference for me is now i get a clickking sound with some discs

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, Toshiba was true to their word when they said they would be mailing out official 2.2 FW discs near the end of May. Actually got 2 of them today. :) I already loaded it a couple of weeks ago with an ISO disc. Like Larry, I think I see a very slight sharper image. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Tim, Larry, et al.:

Did the 2.2 discs arrive as a 'legacy' of your having registered your players months ago and being on past lists to receive upgrade discs, or did you contact Tosh more recently to specifically request 2.2?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i.ve been registered since the xa1 came out and recieved the very first update dusc.
havent gotten one since.
i just update it through the internet now.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Did the 2.2 discs arrive as a 'legacy' of your having registered your players months ago and being on past lists to receive upgrade discs"

Yes for me. I received 2.0 by calling them up back in the Fall. Was suprised to see 2.2 in the mail.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I had to call toshiba to get 2.2

It is in the mail. Still not sure if it is worth upgrading.

I use HDMI to DVI so would like to know if the colors and or black levels are better. Also would like to know if the upgrade fixes the freeze ups on Children of men and other disks.

Thanks,

Dave

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dave whats your previous version - 2.0?

I heard that complaint about Children of Men at AVS but havent experienced it myself.

If you do do the update please comment on the HDMi/DVI issue.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I called Toshiba last week. However, the guy assured me that I was already on the list and would have it shortly. I don't know if he BSing me or not, but it did arrive in a timely fashion!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've had a problem getting the xa1 to play cd's since the 2.2.

tries to load then says no disc.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for reply, Larry.

Interesting, JonZ. Did you get a 2.1 disc also? To the extent they started shipping those discs, I'd surmise they probably stopped once the problems surfaced.

I registered last fall, received the 2.0 disc after explicit request shortly thereafter and never received 2.1. I've yet to hear any compelling reasons to clamor for 2.2.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Interesting, JonZ. Did you get a 2.1 disc also? To the extent they started shipping those discs, I'd surmise they probably stopped once the problems surfaced."

I think I had 1.4 on my player. I called for my first firmware disc, the 2.0 update but didnt receive a 2.1. So you may be correct. I received the 2.2 this week.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I'm beginning to dig this new firmware upgrade.I had reverted to 2.0 in frustration over 2.1. I ran Children of Men last night all the way thru with no problems whatsoever save for one freeze that was so short that as soon as you noticed it, it had gone.
Now the funny thing is that the day before I started to show chapter 5 to a friend and it kept freezing and was unplayable.This was the first time I had used this disc with this firmware.
Is there some sort of memory in the firmware?What precisely does "Persistant Storage"mean in the maintenance menu? It's not even mentioned in the otherwise excellent instruction manual.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Or perhaps a tiny greasy spot on the disc is melted by the laser to a tiny blob. ;)

Cees

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Persistent storage is where extra data you might download from the Internet in the future (supplemental materials, extra subtitles) is stored. It's also where your bookmarks are kept and your preferences (if you have a European HD DVD you may have noticed a prompt for the language you wanted to use the first time you played the disc, but not since: information about your choices is stored in persistent memory). The Persistent Storage option simply allows you to delete anything currently being stored in the player's 256MB of memory (probably very little, if anything) and start over from scratch.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks