What's new

HD with the XBOX (1 Viewer)

Joe Maiurro

Stunt Coordinator
Ok.. Here is the deal. I have a HD tv and an Xbox. So I bought the advance AV pack for the xbox and connected composite (red,blue,green?) from the AV pack to the TV. Some of the new games support 480p but when I go to change my TV to 480p that setting isn't there. There is only 540p and 1080i? And when I do change it between the settings I do have (540p to 1080i) I really see no difference. And anyone shed some light into this matter.

Thanks!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It sounds like you may have a Toshiba TV, it always upconverts 480 to 540p or 1080i. That setting is to choose which one.

If you enable 480p, 720p and 1080i games that support it will automatically use the highest resolution they support. You don't need to choose anything on the TV.

You hopefully have the High Definition AV Pack for a component connection. The Advanced pack is for S-Video, but by your description of the cables it sounds like you have the right one.

Joe Maiurro

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have the 51" HITACHI 51F500. Also, it is the high definition AV pack I have. So would I notice any difference in the picture quality if I were to change between 540p & 1080i while the game is on? Any why it is that I don't get the 720p setting when I switch? So do I ever really need to touch the these settings or will the TV automaticly detect the correct setting?

Thanks again!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The 540p and 1080i settings are the "Virtual HD" settings, used for upconverting 480i and 480p sources.

That TV will automatically upconvert 720p to 1080i. There is no way to select it.

You might want to play with the two settings for 480 sources to see which you prefer, but with the similar settings on my Toshiba I see very little difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks