What's new

HD w/ Pioneer Elite 710HD (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Schoppe

Auditioning
Question 'bout my system --

I currently have a Pioneer Elite 710HD (best TV in the world, by the way) and am wondering how exactly to get HD with it.

I mean, I know how, just wondering what the best way is.

I currently have a run-of-the-mill Direct TV system...

So what of the following do I need?

-The Pioneer chip/adapter thing you plug in the back (that costs like over 2 grand)

-a HD antenna

-a HD satellite box, like the DTC100

The one thing I know I need is the elliptical dish...

But if I get the Pioneer chip/adapter thing, can I use my old Direct TV receiver and still get HD, or do I need a HD satellite box too?

And if I do, then what's the point of the Pioneer thing? Who would ever buy it?

Thanks in advance.......and by the way -- another vote for the Pioneer RP91K.......WOW!

Bruce N

Second Unit
Hi Andrew, I watch lots of HD on my 710. Here's what I know.

The Pioneer chip/adapter thing you plug in the back (that costs like over 2 grand) is for OTA (over-the-air) reception only. Ridiculously expensive. I'd only get one if I could find a blowout for a couple hundred bucks and maybe not even then.

An "HD antenna" is a myth. Any regular TV antenna can receive the digital signal for OTA broadcasts. You need to find out what stations are on the air in your area to know if you need a UHF only or a VHF/UHF combo. Also knowing how far away will help you determine how large an antenna to use.

The DTC-100 works great with the 710. That's what I use. It connects with a standard VGA (computer monitor) cable. No transcoders or other adapters are required.

Put up an oval dish, connect an OTA antenna and the DTC-100 is all you need. DirecTV will give you HBO-HD and HDNet. The OTA stations will give you network HD, assuming your local stations broadcast digitally and pass the network HD feed.

Hope this helps!

Bruce

Andrew_Schoppe

Auditioning
Thanks man, you rule!

(I love hearing an answer from someone who has my tv -- then there's no room for error!)

Goin' shopping tonight...

Andrew,

Sorry that I was not able to post a reply sooner, but Bruce is absolutely correct. The that 710HD looks great using the d15 sub-pin (RGB) with the DTC-100, I can only second the information that he already has given to you about the need for an oval dish, and a second LNB.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks